Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is math my downfall?

1. Oct 30, 2006 #1
    Hi,

I posted this a few days ago but it disappeared along with my registration. Anyway, this is a concern about my algebra skills. I'm in a calculus I class at college and things are going well. I'm able to learn/understand/apply things at the expected proficiency.

My friend who is also a freshman is taking Algebra 1. A few weeks ago she asked me for homework help. I'm known for my love of mathematics, so I suppose she asked me for help thinking I'm a math expert. In truth, I don't think I am, and I don't make it apparent that I'm great at math or anything.

Well, sadly, I found that I was unable to help her with her Algebra 1 homework, which was a simple d=rt type rate problem, like "John is riding his bicycle at 2 different rates. If it takes him 90 minutes and he averages a speed of 20 mph and his rates are x and x-20, respectively, what are his individual rates?"

I felt embarrassed and ashamed that I was unable to solve the problem fully. I got far, but I couldn't come up with the answer. To make this feeling worse, I want to minor in mathematics. I just don't understand how I can be good at higher math but suffer with early high school math.

How am I supposed to fix this hole in my algebra background? Will learning calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations be enough (i.e. when I get my minor)? I'm just worried that I'll have a math minor but won't be able to help my future kids with their math homework. :frown:

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2006 #2
    Take Linear algebra, calculus and Differential equations. Then take an Analysis class and an Abstract Algebra class. Follow this up with a high level honours probability class.

After all this you should be able to teach your kids some math

4. Oct 30, 2006 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

7Longhorn

No need to be worried about those related rates exercises from Algebra 1. You are still developing. You should have the competency of Algebra required for Calculus 1 since you are in it now and doing well. Just review the related rates problem solving approach which you learned in Algebra 1 and you will become good at them; better than when you studied Algebra 1 the first times.

EDIT: I did not mean to suggest that those types of problems are unimportant; only that you can easily enough study them again and understand the solution approach.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?