Is math suppose to be rigorous?

• Thread starter CrossFit415
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rigorous
In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of math and whether it is supposed to be rigorous and tough, or if it comes easy to some people. The speaker shares their own struggles with math and their perception of it as time-consuming and tedious. Others in the conversation explain the importance of rigor in math and how it ensures accuracy and predictability. They also discuss the value of practice and how it leads to understanding and recognition of obstacles. The conversation also mentions the connection between rigorous treatment in math and experiments in physics to verify models.
CrossFit415
Is math suppose to be rigorous? I love it and I hate it. Is this right? So far I'm in trig, I'm struggling a bit. Is math suppose to be tough, do you have to work at it everyday and study for 4 to 5 hrs or does it come easy to you? Please share. Thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi CrossFit415! :smile:
CrossFit415 said:
Is math suppose to be rigorous?

'fraid so! :redface:

The tastiness of maths is in the proving. :wink:
I love it and I hate it. Is this right? So far I'm in trig, I'm struggling a bit. Is math suppose to be tough, do you have to work at it everyday and study for 4 to 5 hrs or does it come easy to you? Please share. Thanks..

I remember that the guys who were going to get a first did hardly any work, they just attended the lectures, breezed through the set questions, and took the rest of the week off.

The guys who were going to get a second worked two or three days a week.

And the guys who were going to get a third had to work full-time.

CrossFit415 said:
Is math suppose to be rigorous? I love it and I hate it. Is this right? So far I'm in trig, I'm struggling a bit. Is math suppose to be tough, do you have to work at it everyday and study for 4 to 5 hrs or does it come easy to you? Please share. Thanks..

4 or 5 hours a week outside of class sounds about right. 4 or 5 hours a night, 5 nights a week is excessive and probably indicates that math isn't for you.

Nothing easy is worth learning -- except conservation of energy :)

If it's taking you a lot of work, one possibility is that you just aren't thinking about things in the right way.

What kind of problem do you find hard? Describe the hardness.

(e.g. do you have problem solving equations? And is it hard because you sit there and stare at the problem but still can't figure out what the next step is?)

Is the scientific method supposed to be used in Physics, or any branch of human knowledge that calls itself a "science"? Is experiment the ultimate truth?

These are the same questions you're asking, applied to Physics. :)

I can do the problems but at times my mind drifts off somewhere else.

I'm thinking that I could be doing something else useful with my time and that doing one single problem is time consuming and tedious at times... I view it as "These numbers don't talk back to me so why should I care if I find x or solve for an equation?" "Even if I solved the equation or graph yet I'm not rewarded for solving it, no pats on the back.." Sounds childish I know..

In other words I approach math as "alright.. read, absorb info, learn and get out" But then I have to do the problem and understand the formulas to really get a grasp of it. Now I see that math is not something that I can just sprint through.
I guess being patient about learning the subject would help me...

Thank you my friends.

Last edited:
You're in the early stage. Imagine a graph of your grasp of mathematics. You're at x=1 of the e^x graph. Calculus is x=2, and so on and so forth. It plateaus after a while, but generally, the higher the math you take, the more comfortable you are with it.

Ahhh I see now..

CrossFit415 said:

Good teachers will have the ability to tell you in the simplest terms what is behind the symbols.

One thing you should realize is that it has been created by humans, and that there is some kind of intuition behind what you are learning.

With regard to it being rigorous, it has to be because if there is an ambiguity, then everyone won't have the right idea and one reason why math is so powerful is that it (for the most part) is unambiguous.

Its like the difference between saying something is a "red porsche model XRAFAD year 2002" (made up) vs saying that something is a "car". There's no room for second guessing what something means when its formulated rigorously and because of that it is in some ways easier and predictable.

obviously it's going to be a lot of work

CrossFit415 said:
I'm thinking that I could be doing something else useful with my time and that doing one single problem is time consuming and tedious at times... I view it as "These numbers don't talk back to me so why should I care if I find x or solve for an equation?" "Even if I solved the equation or graph yet I'm not rewarded for solving it, no pats on the back.." Sounds childish I know..
If you want to understand mathematics, doing problems is worth its time since you get badly needed practice.

As long as you meet obstacles while solving problems, your reward should be recognizing the obstacle and finding a way around it. If the same thing in the next problem is no longer an obstacle, you may pat yourself on the back - you learned something from the previous problem. That's how it works.

You can stop doing problems on a particular topic only when you have enough practice so that you can see fairly directly how things would go if you solved them and you don't learn anything new from trying another one.

From what I understand (still in sophomore year),
being rigorous may guarantee (verify) the math to be true in certain framework..
similar think with physics, we need the experiments to verify the physical model we have..

Rigorous treatment may also give some new results..

Still, some of my professors from the math department mentioned that at later stage intuitive approach is also important..found something first, prove it later

Ashuron said:
Still, some of my professors from the math department mentioned that at later stage intuitive approach is also important..found something first, prove it later
Sure - one needs both: intuition to guide one to interesting things, and rigor to save one from blunders and fallacies.

Rigor without intuition leads to correct but irrelevant ''productivity''.

Intuition without rigor leads you somewhere, but you are never sure whether you deceive yourself - and it is very common to deceive oneself in areas where one doesn't have enough practice.

So one plans the way with one's intuition and then walks it with one's rigor.

1. What does it mean for math to be "rigorous"?

In mathematics, being "rigorous" means that the concepts and arguments presented are logically consistent and based on well-defined principles. This ensures that the results and conclusions drawn from mathematical reasoning are reliable and accurate.

2. Why is it important for math to be rigorous?

Rigorous mathematics is crucial because it allows for precise and unambiguous communication of ideas and findings. It also ensures that mathematical proofs and solutions are valid and can be trusted to provide accurate results. This is particularly important in fields such as science, engineering, and finance where mathematical models are used to make critical decisions.

3. Is it possible for math to be too rigorous?

While it is important for mathematical concepts to be well-defined and logically consistent, it is possible for math to become too rigorous. This can happen when the level of abstraction and complexity makes it difficult for students and researchers to understand and apply the concepts in practical situations. However, striking a balance between rigor and accessibility is a key goal in mathematics education.

4. How can one ensure that their mathematical work is rigorous?

To ensure the rigor of mathematical work, it is important to follow established rules and conventions, such as clearly defining terms and using accepted notation. Additionally, it is important to carefully check and validate each step of a mathematical argument to ensure logical consistency. Seeking feedback and collaboration with other mathematicians can also help to improve the rigor of one's work.

5. Are there any drawbacks to rigorous mathematics?

One potential drawback of rigorous mathematics is that it can be time-consuming and require a high level of precision and attention to detail. This may make it challenging for some individuals to grasp complex concepts or may limit the speed at which mathematical problems can be solved. However, the benefits of rigor in promoting accuracy and reliability of mathematical results far outweigh any potential drawbacks.