Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is matrix possible

1. Mar 11, 2017 #1
    im wondering if anyone has any plausible theories that would disprove the possibility of the matrix?
    ive doe quite a few google searches and all i can find is the concept is quite possible. but surely there must be some ideas that would imply it cant be.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Other than the ridiculous idea that we're all just batteries for the machines (a terribly inefficient way to generate power), there's nothing I know of that would kill the idea.

4. Mar 11, 2017 #3
    hhhmmm. very good. in the movie we are batteries for the machines.
    but,what if we are in a matrix for a machine or entity who does not have us to generate electricity but instead has us just for the hell of it.

5. Mar 11, 2017 #4
  6. Mar 11, 2017 #5
    wow, thats deep. though it doesnt have much to do with the subject

7. Mar 12, 2017 #6
    First off, nobody has to prove a negative. If you make a positive statement, "the Matrix could be real", then you have to prove it.

Second, it they were going to use animals as batteries, why not use cows? No rebellion likely there.

8. Mar 12, 2017 #7

Ryan_m_b

Supposedly the original script was something different but the studio demanded it be changed to something very simple that people could understand :/

9. Mar 12, 2017 #8
    in other words you are wondering if anyone has any plausible theories that would disprove the Supreme Mind being? :)

10. Mar 12, 2017 #9
  11. Mar 12, 2017 #10
    Or Odin created the Universe.

12. Mar 12, 2017 #11
    i guess u guys miss the point of the oq. im not trying to prove the matrix. i dont believe we are in it. im not trying to prove a supreme being(god).
    its just a topic of conversation. a question ive sometimes wondered. especially when, as gleem found, we have people like elon musk giving reasons why we 'could' be in some come of matrix. there must be reasons why we 'couldnt' as well.

13. Mar 12, 2017 #12
    Well, proving a negative is not required.

14. Mar 12, 2017 #13
    dont you get it noisy rhysling, i dont want anyone to 'prove' anything. i just want ideas. this is not a court.

15. Mar 12, 2017 #14
    "there must be reasons why we 'couldnt' as well."
    We don't have to prove a negative. For example, we can't prove that somewhere in this vast universe there is no being exactly like the traditional Santa Claus. It is therefore left to the people making extraordinary claims to provide extraordinary evidence to support them.

16. Mar 12, 2017 #15

jedishrfu

This is an example where Occams Razor can apply:

Is the notion of living in a matrix or simulation more or less likely than living in the world we live in with natural laws that are quite consistent to the best of our understanding?

How many programs do you know that are as error free and consistent?

Hence by the principle of Occams Razor the real world is a simpler if not complex premise.

17. Mar 12, 2017 #16

Drakkith

On the contrary, we understand the question quite well. It is you who does not understand the replies given. We cannot prove that the matrix is impossible. We can give reasons why it is implausible (as Jedishrfu just did while I was typing up this post), but that's not what you asked for in your original question. Is that what you actually meant?

18. Mar 12, 2017 #17

jedishrfu

In a computational physics course I took a few years ago, we learned that the error introduced by the algorithm we chose to model a physical system would appear as energy gained or lost from external sources. The trick of course was to use the proper ODE solver for the problem we were modeling that minimized error over time.

We started to speculate backwards about living in a matrix via the energy is error notion and it got too heady for our programming impaired prof who was new to Java and Object Oriented programming.

19. Mar 12, 2017 #18
    Thread closed, too much speculation, not enough about the movie.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook