Is maximum entropy ever reached

In summary, there is conflicting information on whether or not maximum entropy is ever reached in the universe. Some argue that the universe will never reach a state of maximum entropy due to the increasing value of maximum entropy, while others argue that there is no maximum entropy for a comoving volume. No citation was provided for the former claim, and further information is needed to clarify the concept of maximum entropy in the universe.
steenpat
My knowledge of physics/cosmology is limited but from what I've read in the wiki article entitled "heat death of the universe" there is some conflicting information on whether or not maximum entropy is ever reached. There is an idea that the universe will never reach a state of maximum entropy because the value of maximum is increasing faster than the entropy of the universe. However no citation was provided for this information on wiki and I'm having trouble finding any follow-up information. I would appreciate it if anyone can elaborate on this. Was there any observational evidence to back this claim?

Space news on Phys.org
steenpat said:
My knowledge of physics/cosmology is limited but from what I've read in the wiki article entitled "heat death of the universe" there is some conflicting information on whether or not maximum entropy is ever reached. There is an idea that the universe will never reach a state of maximum entropy because the value of maximum is increasing faster than the entropy of the universe. However no citation was provided for this information on wiki and I'm having trouble finding any follow-up information. I would appreciate it if anyone can elaborate on this. Was there any observational evidence to back this claim?
Well, it depends upon what measure you use. There is a state of maximum entropy within a Hubble volume. That maximum entropy occurs when that volume is nothing but empty space. Such a universe has a constant entropy density.

An alternative definition of maximum entropy is the entropy of a comoving volume. That is, a volume that expands along with space. Once the universe has reached a constant entropy density, it still continues to expand. So with a constant entropy density + growing volume, you get a larger and larger entropy within the comoving volume for all time. There is, in effect, no maximum entropy for a comoving volume, period.

1. What is maximum entropy?

Maximum entropy is a concept in thermodynamics that refers to the state of a system with the highest possible degree of disorder or randomness.

2. Can maximum entropy ever be reached?

Yes, it is possible for a system to reach maximum entropy. This typically occurs when a system has reached thermodynamic equilibrium, meaning that all energy is evenly distributed throughout the system.

3. How is maximum entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. Maximum entropy is the state where the system has reached its highest level of disorder, in accordance with the second law.

4. Is there a limit to how much entropy a system can have?

In theory, there is no limit to how much entropy a system can have. However, in practical applications, there may be physical constraints that prevent a system from reaching maximum entropy.

5. Can entropy be decreased in a system?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase or remain constant. Therefore, it is not possible to decrease the entropy of a closed system without external intervention.