1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Mechatronics a good field?

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    I am grade 12, looking into Mechatronics engineering. I think it looks interesting as it involves electrical, mechanical and software engineering, or so I've been led to believe. At the school I'm looking at for first years it is a general year unless you get into Mechatronics, which is a direct entry program. Even though the first year is basically the same. My questions are is it a good program, employable, interesting? Or will it be a weaker degree than a more traditional, concentrated one? The school I am looking at is Simon Fraser University if that matters.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2012 #2
    Very good field--integrates the best parts of all 3 IMO (I'm in mechanical--design, manufacture and materials option BTW). It is focused mainly on the mechanical end of things but will definitely provide you with the necessary knowledge to program and/or electronically configure your system.

4. May 2, 2012 #3
    Thanks, is does anyone know if it is employable though. I don't want to go into it for the money but I also don't want to spend 4+ years getting a degree no one sees as useful and thus not getting hired.

5. May 2, 2012 #4
    The general rule is, if the major has the word "engineering" in it, it's highly employable.

6. May 2, 2012 #5
    Okay, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook