Is momentum conserved in all inertial frames?

In summary, in the context of special relativity, the momentum of a particle or system of particles is conserved in any inertial frame, as long as it is not affected by gravity. However, the momentum may differ in each frame depending on the velocity of the particle and the choice of frame. If particles interact through fields, the total momentum of particles and fields is conserved. This is necessary to validate the first postulate of special relativity, which states that physics is the same in all inertial frames.
MichaelW24
and is the momentum of a particle the same in all inertial frames?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
In the context of special relativity, the momentum of a particle or a system of particles is conserved in any inertial frame. (Frames that include gravity sources would not be inertial by defintion).

The momentum of a particle however is not the same in all inertial frames, the momentum is obviously dependent on the velocity of the particle, and the velocity of the particle depends on the choice of the frame.

pervect said:
In the context of special relativity, the momentum of a particle or a system of particles is conserved in any inertial frame. (Frames that include gravity sources would not be inertial by defintion).

The momentum of a particle however is not the same in all inertial frames, the momentum is obviously dependent on the velocity of the particle, and the velocity of the particle depends on the choice of the frame.
If the particles interact through fields then there is momentum transferred into the fields. In that case its the the total momentum of particles + field that is conserved.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
If the particles interact through fields then there is momentum transferred into the fields. In that case its the the total momentum of particles + field that is conserved.
Pete

Yep, good point.

pmb_phy said:
Pete

In fact, (in classical field theory) we normally say a system is "sufficiently isolated" when the Lagrangian of a system is transationally invariant, and so gives rise to a conserved canonical energy-momentum tensor (i.e. implying total momentum and energy is conserved).

sorry, I am specifically talking anout special relativity; my lecture notes say that momentum must be conserved but I don't understand why this is nessecary to validate the first postulate, can somebody explainm why if momentum isn't conserved them the first postulate is invaudatted?

Thank you very much again for your help!
Micahel.

MichaelW24 said:
sorry, I am specifically talking anout special relativity; my lecture notes say that momentum must be conserved but I don't understand why this is nessecary to validate the first postulate, can somebody explainm why if momentum isn't conserved them the first postulate is invaudatted?
Thank you very much again for your help!
Micahel.

Postulate I says physics is the same in all inertial frames.

My rest frame is an inertial frame.

That moomentum conservation is true is part of the physics in my rest frame.

Therefore momentum conservation is true in all inertial frames.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

2. What is an inertial frame?

An inertial frame is a reference frame in which Newton's first law of motion holds true. This means that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. Is momentum conserved in all inertial frames?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant in all inertial frames. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

4. What is an example of momentum being conserved in an inertial frame?

An example of momentum being conserved in an inertial frame is a game of pool. When the cue ball collides with another ball, the total momentum of the two balls before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

5. What happens to momentum in non-inertial frames?

In non-inertial frames, momentum is not conserved as Newton's first law does not hold true. This is because these frames are accelerating, which means there is a net external force acting on the system and changing its momentum.