Is the Many-Worlds Interpretation truly deterministic?

• Thread starter Daniel Valient
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mwi
In summary, David Deutsch has said that the Many-Worlds Interpretation demands that every physically possible scenario has to be played out somewhere in the Multiverse, and that this includes absurd/ unlikely scenarios. Max Tegmark has said that even though absurd/ unlikely scenarios happen in a minority of universes, these universes are themselves verging on infinite and increasing exponentially.
n01 said:
I don't understand why you use quotations when describing the "real" world.

Because you're discussing philosophy (of science). Almost the whole point of this study is, precisely, to figure out what "real" means. So to use the word as though we already know what it means is to commit the fallacy of petition principii. Considering I'm dealing with people who respect someone like David Deutsch, you might ask, why bother to be accurate, to reason correctly - no one can tell the difference anyway. Actually, I've been wondering the same thing myself.

n01 said:
I have read Popper; but, I subscribe to the notion that every physical law or physics can be understood through a formal system, eg. logic, and mathematics.

There's no question that every physical law can be understood that way. A law is a limited, very finite statement written in a book. But the reality underlying that law is something else entirely. I perceive that you still think you can "figure out" life and reality. Have fun, but a word of advice: don't play the stock market! In particular, stay away from options trading.

n01 said:
Hypothetically, why haven't I won the lottery yet?

I don't know that you haven't.

Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
In MWI you have won in some branches, in those branches you ask why you won the lottery.
That much I understand.

I may be uneducated on the matter; but, why is this timeline where I'm asking these questions apparent to me and not any other? I'm not sure if I'm being clear enough.

Thank you.

n01 said:
I may be uneducated on the matter; but, why is this timeline where I'm asking these questions apparent to me and not any other? I'm not sure if I'm being clear enough.

MWI says that your consciousness "splits" so that different versions of you exist on every timeline. You see one outcome of an experiment, while your "twin (s)" will see the other (s). The "split" is well-defined in QM math terms. The experimenter is entangled with the wave function, just like any other subsystem can be entangled. However the way consciousness does this, in detail, is not so well-defined.

Anyway, your "twin" right now is probably asking the same question, "why am I on this timeline?" - but it's a different branch he's asking about. According to MWI.

secur said:
MWI says that your consciousness "splits" so that different versions of you exist on every timeline.

I know I'm repeating myself; but, I am only aware of one timeline and not others. The wavefunction seems to evolve in a deterministic fashion in that I am experiencing this timeline and not another. How come?

n01 said:
I know I'm repeating myself; but, I am only aware of one timeline and not others. The wavefunction seems to evolve in a deterministic fashion in that I am experiencing this timeline and not another. How come?

That is the assumption of MW.

What you are talking about is a history. In MW all histories happen but you experience just one - by assumption.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
but you experience just one

Can you tell me why do I experience just one? Quite curious.

n01 said:
Can you tell me why do I experience just one? Quite curious.

Its an assumption from the definition of a history - that's why.

The theory assumes that all histories occur and each is a separate world. By the definition of a history you only experience it.

In science some things are assumed - this is one of them. No reason - its just assumed. You have versions of MW where you experience all at once - but your brain only is aware of one. That's called many minds interpretation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-minds_interpretation

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Its an assumption from the definition of a history - that's why.

The theory assumes that all histories occur and each is a separate world. By the definition of a history you only experience it.

In science some things are assumed - this is one of them. No reason - its just assumed. You have versions of MW where you experience all at once - but your brain only is aware of one. That's called many minds interpretation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-minds_interpretation

Thanks
Bill
So, the fact that I, or I think I can use the word 'we' without assuming anything, experience the same history means that we are experiencing a super deterministic world as opposed to a less probably one. I've just got it stuck in my head that the most probably stochastic event is what dictates the evolution of 'this' (the one we are both experiencing) world/reality.

n01 said:
So, the fact that I, or I think I can use the word 'we' without assuming anything, experience the same history means that we are experiencing a super deterministic world as opposed to a less probably one. I've just got it stuck in my head that the most probably stochastic event is what dictates the evolution of 'this' (the one we are both experiencing) world/reality.

No.

MW is mathematically very beautiful. You should study the math - not try to semantically analyse it.

Thanks
Bill

n01 said:
Can you tell me why do I experience just one?

Because the physical thing in which your experiencing happens is entangled with the physical things you are experiencing. In different branches ("worlds"), these entangled systems are in different states, so the copy of you in those branches experiences different things. But in each individual branch, the entangled systems are each in some particular state, and so you have a certain experience and the things you are experiencing are in the state that is consistent with that experience.

Likes n01 and bhobba
PeterDonis said:
Because the physical thing in which your experiencing happens is entangled with the physical things you are experiencing. In different branches ("worlds"), these entangled systems are in different states, so the copy of you in those branches experiences different things. But in each individual branch, the entangled systems are each in some particular state, and so you have a certain experience and the things you are experiencing are in the state that is consistent with that experience.
The state space we both occupy (since you are entangled in some manner by replying to this post by me) is evolving non-stochastically? Or are we literally evolving in different state spaces?

I don't see anything deterministic about the wavefunction evolving in an infinite amount of ways.

If every reality is real then that makes the world "reality" lose its meaning and becomes a vacuous existential (or universal?) quantifier denoting nothing in reality.

n01 said:
The state space we both occupy (since you are entangled in some manner by replying to this post by me) is evolving non-stochastically?

The state space doesn't evolve at all. In the usual formulation of the MWI, the evolution of the quantum state, which is a particular vector in the state space, is unitary, hence information-preserving and deterministic. The description in terms of different "worlds" comes from picking a particular basis in which the state vector is a superposition of terms, and viewing each term as a separate world.

n01 said:
Or are we literally evolving in different state spaces?

No. See above.

If you have not spent any time studying the actual math underlying the MWI (and QM in general), I would strongly suggest that you do so. Even better, study several different treatments of it from different viewpoints.

PeterDonis said:
I would strongly suggest that you do so. Even better, study several different treatments of it from different viewpoints.

If you can recommend any particular books on the matter, I would appreciate for satisfying my curiosity on the matter.

Thank you.

Well, doesn't this entire debate show, how nonsensical the many-world interpretation (as most other interpretations that go beyond the minimal interpretation) are from a scientific point of view? There may be some people whose mind/consciousness split all the time, particularly those who think "interpretation" is a scientifically relevant topic :nb), but I think that the majority of people, particularly physicists who haven't already lost contact to experiments and observations in the "real world", cannot confirm such experiences with any objective confidence. We do experiments and make observations and always find one outcome (modulo uncertainties of any measurement/observation). There's nothing splitting in branches, and the only thing QT provides are probabilities for the outcome of these unique observations and measurements (unique of course always within the uncertainties any measurement has of course, and most of the experimental work is to provide adequate and objective estimates of statistical and systematic errors!). That's it. There's nothing more concerning "interpretation", and so far there's not a single observation that contradicts this point of view but to the contrary QT is confirmed with an amazing significance.

Likes secur and BvU
Thread closed for moderation.

Edit: The thread will remain closed.

Last edited: