Is My Air Cannon Safe After Winter?

In summary, the air cannon is still safe to use, but it is recommended that you rebuild it if you are reuse it.
munchies7
I left my Air cannon outside during the winter. I was wondering if it is still safe to use or if the cold might have left it unsafe.

The air tank is made of 2 PVC caps attatched to a PVC T pipe, in between there is ABC pipe spacers... The center of the T pipe is connected to a valve, which is connected to the shooting barrel at the other end..with standard PVC cement glue just so you get the picture.

So yeh was just wondering if it is still safe to use it. I used to put it at 120 PSI on average, and had the balls to use it up to 180PSI. It's a beast. But was just wondering if it is safe to use anymore, now that i left it in the winter.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well no one here is about to advise you that it's safe. We can't. Liability issues.
Especially a homemade device.

Same reason we can't advise you on whether a pain in your abdomen is nothing to worry about.

DaveC426913 said:
Well no one here is about to advise you that it's safe. We can't. Liability issues.
Especially a homemade device.

Same reason we can't advise you on whether a pain in your abdomen is nothing to worry about.

let me ask more specifi question. does cold shrimk pvc pipe or sbc pipes, or are they weathered resistant.

UV light can attack PVC.

If you made it yourself how did you test it for safety first time round?

munchies7 said:
PVC

PVC is not rated for air pressure, so no, it isn't safe (I don't know enough about PVC to tell you if it's worse now than before, though). This is an extremely common mistake among air-cannon makers.

The reason is that PVC's failure mode when holding air is to blow up, sending shrapnel and a hearing-loss-inducing pressure wave outwards. Plus, the shock of firing the cannon makes failure much more likely.

If you are concerned about safety, I'd recommend a switch to ABS (which is somewhat more expensive, but should still be within your budget).

Most polymers degrade in UV light. I think your PVC will probably loose more strength over Summer of it is left outside. (Unless it had water in it over Winter that turned to ice and expanded).

ABS is standard for polymer piping for compressed air but it still degrades over time. 10 year old ABS piping gets leaky.

If you are in doubt, I would rebuild it.

If you are hell bent on reusing it, pressure test it with water. That way failure under full pressure will be less likely to lead to injury.

1. Is it safe to use my air cannon after winter?

It is generally safe to use your air cannon after winter, as long as you have properly stored and maintained it during the colder months. However, it is always a good idea to check for any signs of damage or wear and tear before use.

2. How do I know if my air cannon is safe to use?

You can check the condition of your air cannon by inspecting all parts and connections for any signs of damage, such as cracks or rust. You should also make sure to clean and lubricate the cannon before use.

3. Can I use my air cannon indoors after winter?

It is not recommended to use an air cannon indoors, as it can cause damage to objects and potentially harm people. It is best to use it in open, outdoor spaces.

4. Do I need to replace any parts of my air cannon after winter?

This depends on the condition of your air cannon. If you notice any damaged or worn out parts, it is best to replace them before using the cannon. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain your air cannon to ensure its safety and longevity.

5. How can I store my air cannon safely during winter?

To safely store your air cannon during winter, make sure to clean it thoroughly and remove any remaining air or debris. Store it in a dry, cool place to prevent rust and damage. You may also consider covering it with a tarp or protective cover.