Double Integral 4x^3 dA: Evaluating Region Bounded by y=(x-1)^2 and y=-x+3

• Thread starter Math10
  • Start date
In summary: When x is between -1 and 2 one of the functions is lower than the other. When you plot them can you see which it is? That is the lower bound. And the upper bound is the function that is higher.
Math10

Homework Statement

Evaluate the double integral 4x^3 dA, where R is the region bounded by the graphs of y=(x-1)^2 and y= -x+3.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in the book is 72/5. But I got 45 as the answer.
Here's my work:
(x-1)^2= -x+3
x^2-2x+1= -x+3
x=2, -1
y=1, 4.
double integral of 4x^3 dx dy from -1 to 2 for dx and from 1 to 4 for dy
integral of x^4 (evaluate from -1 to 2) dy from 1 to 4 for dy
=45
Is my answer correct or the book's answer is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math10 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the double integral 4x^3 dA, where R is the region bounded by the graphs of y=(x-1)^2 and y= -x+3.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in the book is 72/5. But I got 45 as the answer.
Here's my work:
(x-1)^2= -x+3
x^2-2x+1= -x+3
x=2, -1
y=1, 4.
double integral of 4x^3 dx dy from -1 to 2 for dx and from 1 to 4 for dy
No. The y values run from the parabola up to the line. They do not run from 1 to 4.
Math10 said:
integral of x^4 (evaluate from -1 to 2) dy from 1 to 4 for dy
=45
Is my answer correct or the book's answer is right?
For sure your answer is incorrect.

So how do I find the limits of integration for y?

Math10 said:
R is the region bounded by the graphs of y=(x-1)^2 and y= -x+3.
You get the limits from these equations. Did you draw a picture of this region?

Also, I got 72/5 as my answer, same as your book.

Since it's a double integral, the x is from -1 to 2 for dx. What about y?

I still don't get it. What are the limits of integration for y?

When x is between -1 and 2 one of the functions is lower than the other. When you plot them can you see which it is? That is the lower bound. And the upper bound is the function that is higher.

The upper and lower bound varies with x. That's why you can't just use constants...you need to write the bounds in terms of functions. Try watching these 2 videos:

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/mu...tegrals/double_integrals/v/double-integrals-5

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/mu...tegrals/double_integrals/v/double-integrals-6

Last edited:
Math10 said:
I still don't get it. What are the limits of integration for y?
I asked before, but you didn't respond. Did you sketch a graph of the region over which you're integrating?

You know what? I got it.

1. How can I check if my answer is correct?

There are a few different ways to check if your answer is correct depending on the subject matter. If you are working on a math or science problem, you can rework the problem and check your steps to see if you get the same answer. You can also ask a teacher or tutor to review your work and provide feedback. For a more objective approach, you can use online resources such as answer keys or practice problems with solutions.

2. Are there any tools or resources available to help me determine if my answer is correct?

Yes, there are several tools and resources available to help you determine if your answer is correct. Many textbooks and workbooks have answer keys that you can use to check your work. Additionally, there are many online resources such as practice problems with solutions, online calculators, and educational websites that provide step-by-step explanations for solving problems.

3. How do I know if my answer is correct if there is more than one possible solution?

If there are multiple possible solutions, you can check your answer by plugging it back into the original problem to see if it satisfies all of the conditions. You can also compare your answer to the solutions provided by your teacher or textbook to see if they match. If your answer is different, you may need to go back and review your work to see where you made a mistake.

4. What should I do if I am still not sure if my answer is correct?

If you are still unsure if your answer is correct, you can ask a teacher or tutor for assistance. They can review your work and provide feedback or guidance on where you may have made a mistake. You can also try solving the problem using a different method or approach to see if you get the same answer.

5. Is it important to know if my answer is correct?

Yes, it is important to know if your answer is correct in order to fully understand the concept or problem you are working on. Knowing if your answer is correct can also help you identify areas where you may need additional practice or review. Additionally, in a classroom setting, having the correct answer can earn you points and boost your overall grade.