Is my book wrong?(constant coefficients)

In summary, when the author was trying to solve for x in the second equation, they realized that they didn't need cosine and sine, and just used the trig identity sin2(x)= (1/2)(1- cos(2x)) which simplified the right hand side.
schattenjaeger
y''+16y=24cos(4x)

it was mentioned in class that our book's answer was wrong on some problem, but I forgot which one and now that's biting me in the butt(I really should've written it down)

For the particular solution I got y=3x*sin(4x), which if I plug it in works. The book's solution: (this is the general solution, so the first part is the complementary solution which is right)

y=c1cos(4x)+c2sin(4x)+1/17*x(24*cos(4x)+96*sin(4x))

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, on the same subject if you have a DE y''-y'-2y=40sin(x)^2, what's the trail solution for it?

I know the multiple of forms on the RHS gives you product of their trial solutions, but how does this work?

since the trial solution to sin(x) would be asin(x)+bcos(x), would you throw in another csin(x)+dcos(x) for the other sin, then multiply them, and (after combining constants, which I think you can do at this step)get Asin^2(x)+Bsinxcosx+Ccos^2(x)?

I ask 'cuz I worked it out as such and got the wrong answer, went over it, found a mistake, and still got the wrong answer, and I want to know if I went wrong before then

Your solution is correct, not the textbooks. Since there is no odd derivative in the equation, you don't need both sine and cosine.

As for the second equation, do you have any reason to think that "undetermined coefficients" with any trial solution will work? Sin2 x is NOT one of the functions that can satisfy a linear equation with constant coefficients.

Try using the trig identity sin2(x)= (1/2)(1- cos(2x)) to simplify the right hand side, THEN look for a trial solution.

OH

Yet another example of me being almost good at what I'm doing:-D

1. Is there a way to check if my book's analysis of constant coefficients is correct?

Yes, you can use a variety of methods to verify the accuracy of your book's analysis. One way is to compare it with other reputable sources or consult with other experts in the field. You can also perform experiments or simulations to test the predictions made by the book.

2. How do I know if my book's analysis of constant coefficients is outdated?

You can check the publication date of your book and compare it to more recent publications. If there have been significant advancements or changes in the field since your book was published, it is possible that some of the information may be outdated. It is always a good idea to consult with current research and experts in the field to ensure the accuracy of your book's analysis.

3. Can I trust my book's analysis of constant coefficients?

It depends on the credibility of the source and the rigor of the analysis presented in the book. If the book was written by a reputable scientist and has been peer-reviewed, it is likely that the analysis is trustworthy. However, it is always important to critically evaluate and verify the information presented in any source.

4. How can I apply the analysis of constant coefficients presented in my book to real-world situations?

The applicability of the analysis will depend on the specific situation and context. It is important to understand the assumptions and limitations of the analysis presented in the book and determine if they are applicable to your situation. Consulting with experts in the field can also help in understanding how the analysis can be applied in practice.

5. What should I do if I find conflicting information about constant coefficients in different sources?

If you encounter conflicting information about constant coefficients, it is important to critically evaluate each source and determine the reasons for the discrepancies. Consulting with experts in the field and performing your own research and experiments can help in understanding the underlying factors and reaching a conclusion.