Book Wrong? Solving g'(x) = [p(2r sin rx + n)^(p-1)] * (2r^2cos rx)

• Thread starter Brin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses a calculus problem involving finding the derivative of a function g(x). The person asking the question has been struggling with finding the correct answer and is unsure if they are making a mistake or if the book's answer is wrong. They provide their steps for solving the problem and realize that they were calculating the derivative with respect to r instead of x. With this realization, they thank the person for pointing out their mistake and decide to take a break from practicing calculus.
Brin
Hey guys, I'm just doing some calculus practice over the winter break, and I came across this problem I've done a few times in a row, and I am either a) making the same mistake again, and again; or b) the book is wrong.

The problem is presented as such, with instructions to find the derivative:
g(x)=(2r sin rx + n)^p

With an answer from the back of the book:
g'(x) = [p(2r sin rx + n)^(p-1)] * (2r^2cos rx)

Here are the steps I use to solve:

g = u^p
u = (2r sin rx + n)

dg/du = pu^p-1 * u' : chain rule + product rule

u' = d/dr(2r * sin rx) + d/dr(n) : sum rule

d/dr(2r * sin rx) = (2r^2cos(rx)) + (2sinrx) : product rule

thus, u' = 2r^2cos(rx) + 2sinrx

thus,
dg/dr = [p(2r sin rx + n)^(p-1)] * (2r^2cosrx + 2sinrx) : just filling in the variables.

I'm "correct" right up until + 2 sinrx... that just shouldn't be there.

I've redone this several times, and like I said, I'm either misunderstanding something, or the book is wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
g'(x) means dg(x)/dx. You seem to have calculated dg(r)/dr.

It seems like the book is finding the derivative with respect to x, while you are finding it with respect to r.

Oh wow. How right you are.
I didn't even realize what the heck I was doing... I think I need a break :P Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of solving g'(x) in this equation?

The purpose of solving g'(x) is to find the derivative of the given function, which represents the rate of change of the function at a particular point. This can be helpful in understanding the behavior of the function and making predictions about its values at different points.

2. How do you find the derivative of this function?

To find the derivative of this function, you can use the power rule, chain rule, and product rule depending on the complexity of the function. In this case, the chain rule would be used to account for the inner function of (2r sin rx + n)^(p-1).

3. Can you simplify the derivative expression?

Yes, the derivative expression can be simplified by applying algebraic techniques such as expanding the brackets and simplifying the terms. However, the final simplified expression may vary depending on the given values of p, r, and n.

4. What does the value of the derivative represent?

The value of the derivative at a particular point represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point. This can be interpreted as the rate of change of the function at that point.

5. How can the derivative of this function be useful?

The derivative of this function can be useful in many ways, such as determining the maximum and minimum values of the function, finding the points of inflection, and solving optimization problems. It can also help in understanding the behavior of the function and making predictions about its values at different points.