Is My Book Wrong? Explaining Lens in Interference & Diffraction

• Thread starter kahwawashay1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary: Basically, if everyone is travelling with a dog, it's implied that they all need to carry the dog.No.
kahwawashay1
My book says that "One property of a converging lens is that it focuses all rays that are parallel to one another to the same point on its focal plane". But isn't that wrong? I mean, don't the rays have to be parallel to the central axis through the lens, not just to one another?

In any case, my book is describing a situation where you have a convex lens between a double slit and screen, with the screen exactly focal length from lens, and light being shined through the slits. My book says that in this case, all of the rays that end up on the screen had to have been initially "parallel"..im assuming they mean parallel to central axis, but they don't say to what..but then I think they want to justify in the derivation of the interefence formulas the assumption made about the rays ending up at any point on the screen being parallel to each other...but I don't understand why all of the rays on the screen must have had initially been parallel...not all of the rays entering the slit are parallel to each other or to the central axis, and so they all hit the lens in different ways, and so some end up at the focal point and some dont, but they all end up on the screen, regardless if they were initially parallel or not..

I understand how interference and diffraction with single and multiple slits works, but I don't understand at all what my book is trying to say about the lens in the middle..Could someone please explain the significance of the situation? Is it somehow different from when you just have the slits and screen?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right. Parallel rays that aren't parallel to the optical axis won't be sent to the same point on the focal plane. I don't know anything about the significance of the example though.

kahwawashay1 said:
My book says that "One property of a converging lens is that it focuses all rays that are parallel to one another to the same point on its focal plane". But isn't that wrong? I mean, don't the rays have to be parallel to the central axis through the lens, not just to one another?

The book is correct.

If the rays are parallel to each other, but subtend an angle with the optical axis (i.e., the "central axis through the lens"), then the rays will come to a focus on the focal plane but NOT on the optical axis. The focal plane is the plane normal to the optical axis that contains the focal point.

Hopefully the attached figure makes sense.

Attachments

• fig.jpg
    fig.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 434
What cmos said is absolutely correct. Do keep in mind that all of this is thin lens approximation to geometrical optics, however. So if it feels a little unnatural, it is because it is a simplification. Real optics is far more complex, but what you get from these assumptions is still very useful.

cmos said:
The book is correct.

If the rays are parallel to each other, but subtend an angle with the optical axis (i.e., the "central axis through the lens"), then the rays will come to a focus on the focal plane but NOT on the optical axis. The focal plane is the plane normal to the optical axis that contains the focal point.

Hopefully the attached figure makes sense.

You guys are not reading my initial message right.

I understand that all of the rays end up on the focal PLANE. But my book says that "all rays that are parallel to one another" converge "to the same POINT on its focal plane"

All the rays that are parallel in one particular direction converge to a point in the focal plane.

All the rays that are parallel but in a different direction converge to a different point in the focal plane.

The image that cmos posted shows what this means. The parallel rays do not have to be parallel to the axis of the lens.

If English is not your first language, this use of "the same point" might be confusing you. It means "one point for each set of parallel rays", not "one point for every set of parallel rays".

It is often easier to assume the book is wrong, rather than questioning ourselves as to whether we are reading it correctly.

"Dogs must be carried on the travellator." Does this imply that everyone must carry a dog?

AlephZero said:
If English is not your first language, this use of "the same point" might be confusing you. It means "one point for each set of parallel rays", not "one point for every set of parallel rays".

Ohhhhh thank you I get it now!

1. What is the concept of "lens" in interference and diffraction?

The concept of "lens" in interference and diffraction refers to the phenomenon where light passing through a small opening or slit is bent or focused, much like how a traditional lens in optics works. This can occur when light waves pass through a narrow slit or opening, causing them to diffract and create a pattern of bright and dark fringes.

2. How does interference and diffraction relate to the concept of "lens"?

Interference and diffraction are both optical phenomena that involve the bending or spreading of light waves. In the case of interference, light waves from different sources interact with each other, resulting in constructive or destructive interference patterns. In diffraction, light waves pass through a narrow opening or around an obstacle, causing them to bend and create interference patterns. Both of these processes can be described using the concept of a "lens", where light is focused or spread out to create distinct patterns.

3. How do interference and diffraction affect the appearance of objects?

Interference and diffraction can affect the appearance of objects by causing them to appear blurry or distorted. This is because the light waves that reach our eyes are altered by the interference and diffraction patterns, resulting in a different image than what we would see without these optical phenomena. In some cases, this can create beautiful and intricate patterns, but in others, it can make objects appear less defined or even invisible.

4. What are some real-world applications of interference and diffraction?

Interference and diffraction have many practical applications in various fields. In optics, they are used in the design of lenses and optical instruments such as microscopes and telescopes. They are also used in the production of holograms and in the study of crystal structures in materials science. In addition, interference and diffraction are important concepts in the field of quantum mechanics and have been used in the development of technologies such as lasers and fiber optics.

5. How can understanding interference and diffraction be useful for scientists?

Understanding interference and diffraction is crucial for scientists in many fields, particularly in optics and quantum mechanics. These concepts help scientists to explain and predict the behavior of light waves, which is essential for developing new technologies and understanding the world around us. By studying interference and diffraction, scientists can also gain insight into the fundamental properties of light and matter, leading to new discoveries and advancements in various fields of science.