1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is my CS minor and (kind of) math major worth anything right out the gate?

1. Jan 25, 2012 #1
    Hey guys,

I did a joint major (physiology/math), which is like a major and a half and therefore not as in-depth as a full major in either subject, with a minor in CS. I'm wrapping up this term and I was hoping to see what working is like before strapping in for a PhD or something in neurophysiology.

I was wondering if people have any thoughts regarding...

1) Will the math and cs stuff be good enough to get interesting employment in something computer-related? I'm obviously not as well-versed as someone who did a full major in math, and the math side of my degree was my weaker point (although my CS and physiol. grades are pretty good). So I wonder if in the eyes of an employer I might be able to fill the spot ordinarily taken by a math/cs person.

2) This is a long shot, but does anyone know if the physiology component is going to be useful to employers? Right now in terms of getting a "relevant" employment the only path I see is trying to edge into what is traditionally taken by cs majors. Does anyone have any tips for using what I have to break in to some other field?

I realize these questions might seem general, but figured I'd throw them out there and see what happens. Cheers.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted