Is my Gmail account secure with two-factor authentication and proxy settings?

• Thread starter physics kiddy
  • Start date
In summary: Connections. Either way, be sure to turn it off when finished so your traffic is not snooped on.Two-factor authentication is using something other than just a password to protect your account - e.g. a code you receive via SMS or a voice call. With two-factor authentication, even if someone stole your password, they wouldn't be able to login to your account without also knowing your second password.
physics kiddy
Today, I found something very unusual with my Gmail account. As soon as I opened my account, I found a message above the inbox saying : Your account has been opened from IP address 87.207.169.224 dynamic.chello.pl, Poland and I am an Indian not a Polish. Gmail suggested me to change my Gmail password as soon as possible. I did the same. But I am still afraid because I believe that my account has been hacked. Now, the terms in the IP address seem technical and I don't understand them. Please help me.

Computer science news on Phys.org
well, two things. First make sure that the email you got was not a phishing email. Sometimes you can get fake alerts and these emails can include a link that takes you away from gmail to another site that looks like gmail. The idea to trick you into thinking its gmail and you type in your current username/password to change it and then they steal your information.
if there was a link in the email saying "click here to change your password" or something to that effect, look at the actual address, make sure the address belongs to google.
eg: mail.google.com is valid. mail-google.com is NOT
if you did get one of these phishing emails and you clicked on the link to change your password, then its time to change it again. make sure you use the links within your account and NOT links from inside an email (click on your name>account settings> etc).

if the email is legit, then changing your password is usually good enough. there is an off-chance that your computer may be infected with spyware programs. i'd suggest installing an antispyware program like Spybot Search & Destroy to scan your system.

Well, I know what phishing is and I am always cautious of phishing pages because I have tried one on my friend. I am sure it's something else because the link wasn't in inbox. It was above inbox and there was no any link or message like "Click here to change your password". The only message was -"Your account has been opened from so an so IP address". Any idea ?

Well then I would change the Gmail account password and do a virus/spyware scan on all the computers you use to access your email. Sounds like the email was legit.

Yes, it was

Yeah. Just change your password from your Gmail account settings and scan the computers you check your Gmail account from. That's really all you can do if someone actually got your password.

physics kiddy said:
Gmail suggested me to change my Gmail password as soon as possible. I did the same.
Did this email provide you with a link where you could change your password? Or did you have to go to Gmail on your own to do it?

If the former case, it is entirely possible you just handed them your password. You should never follow a link within an email that leads you to a site where you are going to enter private information. Emails (especially phishing emails) often provide a fake link that looks legit, but actually skims your private information.

Conscientious companies, such as banks will NEVER provide a link to get to their site for this reason. You are expected to make your own way to their site. That way, you can be sure you got to the right site.

If you've accessed GMail through a proxy (perhaps without knowing) that could explain the IP - proxies forward traffic on your behalf, so sites see the proxy's IP (which could be anywhere) rather than your own.

Proxies are sometimes used to circumvent restrictions, such as blocked sites - e.g. a computer lab you use blocks YouTube, but you (or someone else before you) configures the browser to use a proxy instead to access the site. This is still a really bad idea since the owner of the proxy will be able to inspect your traffic, steal active sessions, etc.

I am a bit new to these technical terms. So, please explain how do I know if I am using a proxy and what two-way authentication is.

physics kiddy said:
I am a bit new to these technical terms. So, please explain how do I know if I am using a proxy and what two-way authentication is.

For two-factor authentication see the link i included and watch the short video, it explains the concept well.

You can configure your browser to use a proxy, for example in the FireFox options menu, under Advanced -> Network -> Settings. In Chrome under Preferences -> Under the hood -> Change proxy settings. In Internet Explorer it's under Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings.

1. How can I tell if my gmail account has been hacked?

If you suspect that your gmail account has been hacked, there are a few signs to look out for. These include receiving unfamiliar emails in your inbox, seeing messages that have been marked as read or deleted without your knowledge, or noticing changes in your account settings.

2. What should I do if my gmail account has been hacked?

If you believe your gmail account has been hacked, it's important to act quickly. First, change your password immediately to prevent the hacker from accessing your account further. Then, check your account settings to make sure there are no unauthorized changes. You should also enable two-factor authentication for added security.

3. Can the hacker access my personal information from my gmail account?

If your gmail account has been hacked, it's possible that the hacker could have access to your personal information such as your email contacts, saved passwords, and any sensitive information you may have shared through email. It's important to change your password and monitor your account for any suspicious activity.

4. How did my gmail account get hacked?

There are many ways that a gmail account can be hacked, including phishing scams, malware or viruses, weak passwords, or using the same password for multiple accounts. It's important to always use strong and unique passwords, and to be cautious of suspicious emails or links.

5. How can I prevent my gmail account from being hacked?

To prevent your gmail account from being hacked, it's important to take precautions such as using strong and unique passwords, enabling two-factor authentication, and being cautious of suspicious emails or links. It's also recommended to regularly update your security settings and to monitor your account for any unusual activity.