Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is my grumpiness uncalled for?

1. Sep 24, 2010 #1
    I apologize that I am posting this in this section, but...
    I wish that people did not reply to a thread and then merely state what they_do not know_ about the subject and what their experinece has been in life regarding the subject matter...
    Unfortunately,as a consequence, seeing that a question has "been replied to" many qualified people tend to not to look at the question thinking that the person got the help. I am sorry for over reacting... I am clearly asking the question because I do not understand the basics, not because I want to discuss the various subtle aspects.
    You be the judge. Here is my question and here also is the "reply":

ME: Can somebody give me an example whereby I use the inversion with respect to a circle (unit circle or otherwise) and the problem becomes easier. I guess I am asking: how do I make use of this notion. Or a problem that involves inversion, period.
    Thank you

Reply: The only time I have used inversion in a circle was in Poincare's disk model for hyperbolic geometry. There "congruence" is defined in terms of reflections in a "line", "lines" are the portions of circles orthogonal to the disk inside the disk, and "reflection" in such a line is inversion in the circle.

In this article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversive_geometry, Wikipedia refers to using inversion in a circle to construct a "Peaucellier linkage", apparently important in "converting between linear and circular motion". I have heard that one can use inversion in a circle to model Wankel Rotary Engine but have no certain information on that
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2010 #2
    They gave you numerous answers to exactly the question you were asking, including citing a reference. What else do you want?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook