Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is my processor 64-bit?

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1

hotvette

Homework Helper

I read somewhere that if the processor description in XP System Information says 'x86' it's a 32-bit processor. But, the system control panel says P8600 processor and from the Intel processor website the P8600 appears to be a 64-bit. Do I have a 32-bit or 64-bit processor? I'm guessing I have a 64-bit processor running a 32-bit OS.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2
    Most processors today are made so that they can work with a 64 bit system. However some old xp processors may not have 64bit capability. You can check on your computer if you right click on my computer , click on properties, then click on windows experience index.

After that you should see under system if it has 64 bit capabilities. Since it will have an option that says 64 bit capable with the answer yes or no.

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Check the processor info in the BIOS. It should say whether it supports 64-bit.

Another option would be to run Speccy or CPU-Z.

5. Feb 1, 2012 #4

hotvette

Homework Helper

Wow, struck out on all suggestions so far.

1. Don't see anything called 'windows experience index' under properties of My Computer (see attached)

2. Can't find anything in BIOS info/settings indicating 32-bit or 64-bit

3. Installed CPU-Z but it isn't clear what's suppose to indicate 32-bit or 64-bit (see attached).

Attached Files:

• cpu.jpg
      cpu.jpg
      File size:
      59.3 KB
      Views:
  6. Feb 1, 2012 #5

jhae2.718

Gold Member

If you look at the CPU-Z output, it lists EM64T as a supported instruction. That's what Intel used to call its 64-bit instruction set. Also, IIRC, all Core 2 CPUs support 64-bit.

7. Feb 1, 2012 #6

hotvette

Homework Helper

Thanks!

8. Feb 1, 2012 #7

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook