Is My Proof on Finite Sets and One-to-One Correspondence Correct?

• Thread starter AdrianZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: Aah, that explains things! Yes, when working with Dedekind-finite things then you need to do it the way you do it.Also remark that Dedekind-finite is not the same as finite in the other definition. You need the axiom of choice for that. So it's best to stay close to the definitions!
AdrianZ
Suppose that f is a one-to-one correspondence between two sets X and Y. Prove that if X is finite, then Y is finite too.

my proof: I've already proved that if X is infinite, then Y is infinite too. since f is a one-to-one correspondence, f-1: Y->X exists and by applying the same theorem it can be shown that if f:X->Y and Y is infinite, then X is infinite as well.so, I can claim that if f is a one-to-one correspondence, then X is infinite if and only if Y is infinite. hence, It's possible to say that if f is a one-to-one correspondence between the two sets X and Y, then X is finite if and only if Y is finite.
Is my proof correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your proof is correct (once you know that infinite = not-finite). Though, it might not be the shortest proof available. That is, that you proved it by making use of infinite sets is suprising.

micromass said:
Yes, your proof is correct (once you know that infinite = not-finite). Though, it might not be the shortest proof available. That is, that you proved it by making use of infinite sets is suprising.

Actually It's because the book I'm studying from uses Dedekind's definition of an infinite set that a set is infinite iff there is a one-to-one correspondence between the set and a subset of the set. and then it defines a finite set as a set that is not infinite.so, I tried to stay faithful to the definitions that my book suggests. surely there is a shorter way of proving this using the other definition that says a set A is finite iff it's in one-to-one correspondence with Nk. then I can say X~Nk and X~Y, hence Y~Nk. I guess you meant I could use the second approach and It would be shorter. Is that you what you mean?

AdrianZ said:
Actually It's because the book I'm studying from uses Dedekind's definition of an infinite set that a set is infinite iff there is a one-to-one correspondence between the set and a subset of the set. and then it defines a finite set as a set that is not infinite.so, I tried to stay faithful to the definitions that my book suggests. surely there is a shorter way of proving this using the other definition that says a set A is finite iff it's in one-to-one correspondence with Nk. then I can say X~Nk and X~Y, hence Y~Nk. I guess you meant I could use the second approach and It would be shorter. Is that you what you mean?

Aah, that explains things! Yes, when working with Dedekind-finite things then you need to do it the way you do it.
Also remark that Dedekind-finite is not the same as finite in the other definition. You need the axiom of choice for that. So it's best to stay close to the definitions!

Yes, your proof is correct. You have used the definition of a one-to-one correspondence and the theorem about finite sets being equivalent to each other under a one-to-one correspondence. Your explanation is clear and concise, and your conclusion follows logically from your proof. Good job!

1. What should I do if my proof contains mistakes?

If you discover mistakes in your proof, it is important to carefully review and identify where the errors occurred. Once you have identified the mistakes, you can go back and make necessary corrections to your proof. It may also be helpful to seek feedback from peers or a supervisor to ensure the accuracy of your proof.

2. How can I tell if my proof is logically sound?

A logically sound proof should follow a clear and logical sequence of steps, clearly stating assumptions and using valid reasoning to arrive at a conclusion. It is important to carefully review your proof to ensure that each step follows logically from the previous one and that there are no gaps or errors in your reasoning.

3. What role does evidence play in a proof?

Evidence is crucial in a proof as it provides support for the conclusions drawn. It is important to include evidence in the form of mathematical equations, logical arguments, and examples to back up your arguments and demonstrate the validity of your proof.

4. How can I make my proof more convincing?

One way to make your proof more convincing is to provide multiple, independent proofs for the same conclusion. This helps to strengthen your argument and demonstrate the robustness of your findings. Additionally, providing real-world applications or examples can also make your proof more relatable and convincing.

5. What should I do if my proof is not accepted by the scientific community?

If your proof is not accepted by the scientific community, it is important to carefully consider any feedback or criticisms you receive. It may be helpful to revise and improve your proof based on this feedback and resubmit it for review. It is also important to remember that scientific knowledge is constantly evolving, and it may take time for your proof to be accepted by the community.