1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is my proof correct?

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    Is my proof correct? (abstract algebra - groups)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If G is a finite group of even order, show that there must be an element a≠e such that a=a-1
    I believe my proof is a bit odd and unusual, I'd appreciate it if someone else checks it and suggests a more convenient argument for this problem.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    well, since G is a finite group of even order, let's assume |G|=2k. since G is finite, we can assume G looks like this: [itex]G=\{e,a,a^{-1},b,b^{-1},ab,(ab)^{-1},...\}[/itex]
    But if we relabel all elements, we can show G in the form: [itex]G=\{e,g_1,g_1^{-1},...,g_k,g_k^{-1}\}[/itex], let's call this new representation of G as G' and notice that G=G'. if we exclude e, we have |G-{e}|=2k-1. the number of [itex]g_i[/itex]'s in G' is k, so if all their respective [itex]g_i^{-1}[/itex]'s were distinct, G'-{e} would have 2k elements, but that would be impossible because G and G' were the same set! so that would mean that not all [itex]g_i[/itex]'s and [itex]g_i^{-1}[/itex] are distinct, so there exists a [itex]g_i[/itex] for which we have: [itex]g_i[/itex]=[itex]g_i^{-1}[/itex] Q.E.D

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Seems good to me!!

I think the argument is a really nice one. Maybe it can be rephrased a little bit here and there. But I think that it's ok.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook