1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is my prove correct?

1. Mar 13, 2008 #1
    There is a simple problem, and I gave my simple prove. Could anybody help me check whether it is correct:

Show that if B is not finite and [tex]{B}\subset{A}[/tex], then A is not finite.

My prove:
    Since B is not finite, there exists a bijection of B into one of its proper subset, C, say, and denote the function to be f: [tex]{B}\rightarrow{C}[/tex].
    Since B is a proper subset of A, as an extension of f to A,there exist a (some) bijiection(s), say g, such that g: [tex]{A}\rightarrow{C}[/tex]. And thus g maps A onto its proper subset, A cannot be finite. Hense A is infinite.

Thks!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What, precisely, do you mean by "an extension of f to A". In other words, what, exactly, is g?

4. Mar 13, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should also notice that there doesn't generally exist a bijection of A to C. Which is ok, because to show A is infinite you don't need a bijection with C, you only need one with 'some subset' of A.

5. Mar 13, 2008 #4
    can't you simply say if [tex]{B}\subset{A}[/tex]

n [tex]\le[/tex] cardinality of (B) [tex]\leq[/tex] cardinality of (A) for all n in N.

So A is not finite.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  6. Mar 13, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, if you have cardinality theorems available. Ka Yan appears to want to prove it using the definition that a set is infinite if there exists a bijection with a proper subset of itself.

7. Mar 14, 2008 #6
    Yes, thanks gentlemen.

That, I was originally considered, if f is a function on a subset B of A, then an "extension" of f from B to A is that, exist a function g on A, such that g(x)=f(x) for all x in B.

But B and A are seem neccessary to be closed, and I didnt quite sure if those A and B are closed or not to asure the concept "extension" be apply.

Besides, my classmate gave me another way:
    construct a sequense {an} by: take a0[tex]\in[/tex]B, a1 [tex]\in[/tex] B-{a0}, a2 [tex]\in[/tex] B-{a0, a1}, and so on. And this sequense is infinite, and all belong to A, thus A is infinite.
    I don't quite well remember the constructing process, and I showed just what he meant.

8. Mar 14, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's another way. Consider the subset D=(A-B) union C. It's a proper subset of A since C is a proper subset of B. Define g(x)=f(x) for x in B and g(x)=x for x in A-B. g is a bijection of A with a proper subset D. So A is infinite. I think that's the 'extension' you were after.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?