1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is my schedule overkill?

1. Nov 7, 2014 #1
    Planning on transferring to UT Austin next fall to study MechE. Currently have a 4.0 (Calc 2, German 1, Gen Phys 1) but I'm worried that my schedule for next semester would be too much and tank my GPA. Am I trying to take too much?

Spring:
    German 2 (have to take to complete language requirements)
    Calculus 3
    Differential Equation
    Honors Engineering Physics 1

I'm trying to do this so I can take Linear Algebra and Engineering Physics 2 in the summer, unfortunately Linear Algebra is only offered in the summer at my institution. Would Diff EQ and Calc 3 be too much? I would have the same professor for each but he's notorious for being a hard grader and giving lots of homework; but all the people I've met who have taken him said he's really hard but they gained more out of his class than any other professor since he drills the applications of the concepts.

Advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2014 #2
    What does engineering physics I entail? Generally though that schedule doesn't seem too bad at all (some of the schedules people here put up are really crazy by comparison), yours seems standard if anything IMO. And professors who drill applications of the concepts of Diffy Q's and Calc 3 should give you a strong base for the rest of your ME degree to build on, which is a good thing. Diffy Q's tends to be fairly mechanical, so though there might be a lot of homework it isn't difficult homework (as opposed to Calc 3 anyway). Manage your time well and start your problem sets the instant they're due and you should be ok I think.

4. Nov 7, 2014 #3
    Engineering Physics 1 is just calculus based mechanics (kinematics, rotational motion, thermo, waves). I'm in General Physics 1 right now so all the concepts that will be in EP1 are going to be the same just with calculus so I don't think it will be too hard. But there is a project involved in the class since it's an Honors course so I'm just kind of worried about not having enough time to truly understand everything that's going on in all my classes.

5. Nov 7, 2014 #4
    The only problem i see, is that you need some concepts from calc 3 for diffEq, like partial derivatives, and maybe a few other things, but its all very minor

6. Nov 9, 2014 #5
    No, it's doable. Treat school like a job (40 hrs per week) and you should have no problems getting stellar grades. That's what grad school will be like.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook