Optimizing Course Load for UT Austin Transfer: Diff EQ, Calc 3, and German 2

• Thread starter inia6448
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schedule
In summary, the conversation is about a student's concern about taking a heavy course load in the next semester and how it will affect their GPA. They plan on transferring to UT Austin to study MechE and currently have a 4.0 GPA in Calculus 2, German 1, and General Physics 1. The proposed schedule for next semester includes German 2, Calculus 3, Differential Equation, and Honors Engineering Physics 1. The student is also considering taking Linear Algebra and Engineering Physics 2 in the summer, but is worried about having the same professor for Diff Eq and Calc 3 who is known for being a hard grader and giving lots of homework. They seek advice on whether this schedule is too much
inia6448
Planning on transferring to UT Austin next fall to study MechE. Currently have a 4.0 (Calc 2, German 1, Gen Phys 1) but I'm worried that my schedule for next semester would be too much and tank my GPA. Am I trying to take too much?

Spring:
German 2 (have to take to complete language requirements)
Calculus 3
Differential Equation
Honors Engineering Physics 1

I'm trying to do this so I can take Linear Algebra and Engineering Physics 2 in the summer, unfortunately Linear Algebra is only offered in the summer at my institution. Would Diff EQ and Calc 3 be too much? I would have the same professor for each but he's notorious for being a hard grader and giving lots of homework; but all the people I've met who have taken him said he's really hard but they gained more out of his class than any other professor since he drills the applications of the concepts.

Advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
inia6448 said:
Planning on transferring to UT Austin next fall to study MechE. Currently have a 4.0 (Calc 2, German 1, Gen Phys 1) but I'm worried that my schedule for next semester would be too much and tank my GPA. Am I trying to take too much?

Spring:
German 2 (have to take to complete language requirements)
Calculus 3
Differential Equation
Honors Engineering Physics 1

I'm trying to do this so I can take Linear Algebra and Engineering Physics 2 in the summer, unfortunately Linear Algebra is only offered in the summer at my institution. Would Diff EQ and Calc 3 be too much? I would have the same professor for each but he's notorious for being a hard grader and giving lots of homework; but all the people I've met who have taken him said he's really hard but they gained more out of his class than any other professor since he drills the applications of the concepts.

Advice?

What does engineering physics I entail? Generally though that schedule doesn't seem too bad at all (some of the schedules people here put up are really crazy by comparison), yours seems standard if anything IMO. And professors who drill applications of the concepts of Diffy Q's and Calc 3 should give you a strong base for the rest of your ME degree to build on, which is a good thing. Diffy Q's tends to be fairly mechanical, so though there might be a lot of homework it isn't difficult homework (as opposed to Calc 3 anyway). Manage your time well and start your problem sets the instant they're due and you should be ok I think.

clope023 said:
What does engineering physics I entail? Generally though that schedule doesn't seem too bad at all (some of the schedules people here put up are really crazy by comparison), yours seems standard if anything IMO. And professors who drill applications of the concepts of Diffy Q's and Calc 3 should give you a strong base for the rest of your ME degree to build on, which is a good thing. Diffy Q's tends to be fairly mechanical, so though there might be a lot of homework it isn't difficult homework (as opposed to Calc 3 anyway). Manage your time well and start your problem sets the instant they're due and you should be ok I think.

Engineering Physics 1 is just calculus based mechanics (kinematics, rotational motion, thermo, waves). I'm in General Physics 1 right now so all the concepts that will be in EP1 are going to be the same just with calculus so I don't think it will be too hard. But there is a project involved in the class since it's an Honors course so I'm just kind of worried about not having enough time to truly understand everything that's going on in all my classes.

The only problem i see, is that you need some concepts from calc 3 for diffEq, like partial derivatives, and maybe a few other things, but its all very minor

No, it's doable. Treat school like a job (40 hrs per week) and you should have no problems getting stellar grades. That's what grad school will be like.

1. What is considered an "overkill" schedule?

An overkill schedule is one that is overly ambitious or packed with too many tasks and activities. It may not leave enough time for rest and relaxation, leading to burnout and decreased productivity.

2. How do I know if my schedule is overkill?

You can determine if your schedule is overkill by evaluating your daily workload and how much time you have for self-care and other important activities. If your schedule is leaving you feeling overwhelmed and exhausted, it may be overkill.

3. What are the negative effects of an overkill schedule?

An overkill schedule can lead to burnout, decreased productivity, and increased stress levels. It may also affect your physical and mental health, as it may not leave enough time for rest and self-care.

4. How can I avoid an overkill schedule?

To avoid an overkill schedule, it's important to prioritize your tasks and activities and leave room for breaks and self-care. It may also be helpful to delegate tasks or say no to commitments that may add unnecessary stress to your schedule.

5. Is it possible to have a productive schedule without it being overkill?

Yes, it is possible to have a productive schedule without it being overkill. It's important to find a balance between work and self-care, and to prioritize tasks and activities that are most important and necessary. It may also be helpful to build in breaks and rest time throughout the day.