Is My Schedule too Crazy?

• Thread starter carboy79
  • Start date
The only semester that looks like it may be too rough is your second fall semester. The physics courses are tough, but having them together isn't uncommon. The thing I'd be worried about is having linear algebra that semester.
Is that an advanced linear algebra? Or is it the first linear algebra you've had?

If it's an advanced course that will talk about vector spaces, dual spaces, determinant properties, nilpotent properties, etc., then (although it will be an additional difficult class) it should be fine.

If it's a first linear algebra where you'll be doing basic matrix operations, row reduction, etc., then you may have a rough time in Quantum. (assuming the quantum is going to involve linear algebra heavily).

Last edited:
The only semester that looks like it may be too rough is your second fall semester. The physics courses are tough, but having them together isn't uncommon. The thing I'd be worried about is having linear algebra that semester.
Is that an advanced linear algebra? Or is it the first linear algebra you've had?

If it's an advanced course that will talk about vector spaces, dual spaces, determinant properties, nilpotent properties, etc., then (although it will be an additional difficult class) it should be fine.

If it's a first linear algebra where you'll be doing basic matrix operations, row reduction, etc., then you may have a rough time in Quantum. (assuming the quantum is going to involve linear algebra heavily).
Unfortunatley I must take quantum I and E&M in the same semester because they are only offered in the fall. I think I will take linear algebra the previous summer before this fall semester to help prepare for quantum. It would be my first linear algebra class... do you think this will hurt me for the quantum I class?

Unfortunatley I must take quantum I and E&M in the same semester because they are only offered in the fall. I think I will take linear algebra the previous summer before this fall semester to help prepare for quantum. It would be my first linear algebra class... do you think this will hurt me for the quantum I class?
Keep in mind that Linear Algebra is different than calculus or ODE in the sense that it is not a straight computations course. As was previously said, it might be proof-heavy (vector spaces, transformations, eigenvectors, etc) since some colleges use this class as an intro to higher maths. However, it is not unconquerable, as long as you take time to rationlize the concepts and do lots of practice you should be fine.

First, you want to take Linear Algebra as soon as possible, since it's applied heavily in many physics classes, so you'd take that as soon as you take Multivariable Calculus. Also, I don't think it's a great idea to take Differential Equations at the same time as Multivariable Calculus, so I would suggest taking that in the Spring instead. Other than that, I actually think your schedule is fine.

Your schedule is very doable, for someone who is decently smart and hardworking. I am doing approximately the same schedule for my freshman/sophomore yr, and it's pretty chill so far.

My friend, you're scheduele isn't that crazy. For a comparision, next semmester I'm taking advanced linear algebra (hilbert space type stuff), calculus 3, number theory, ODEs, and a physics course

Gib Z
Homework Helper
This person is cramming a Physics degree into two years after not having studied math or physics for a long time, and you are doing the third year of a math major. I'd say the the OP's schedule is somewhat more difficult than yours.

This person is cramming a Physics degree into two years after not having studied math or physics for a long time, and you are doing the third year of a math major. I'd say the the OP's schedule is somewhat more difficult than yours.
Its true that I hadn't studied math or physics since high school pretty much, but maybe I should've mentioned that this summer I'm enrolled in Physics I and Calc II at community college and am acing them. However those are only two classes more on the elementary side, so I still don't know how I'll fare with this schedule. Gonna give it my best though.