1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is my solution right or wrong ?

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    My question follow with my work to solve the question is in the attachment .

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2
    "Selected zip file is invalid or corrupted"
  4. Nov 1, 2004 #3
    Don't worry

don't worry, the file will not harm your computer.Just zip it and mu solution is in there.
  5. Nov 1, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The file contains a windows excel document with a picture:

There a string (copper wire?) attached to an oscillilator at one end (point A). The other end of the string is hung over a pulley (point B) and a mass tied to the end of the string.
    The problem is:
    The length AB of the copper wire (the dot line) used in this experiment is 1.5m and its cross sectional area is 0.059mm^2
    The tension in the wire is 2.0 N. If the density of the copper is 8.9 x 10^3 kg/m^3 ,show that the lowest frequency to obtain a stationary wave is about 10Hz.

Sanosuke's solution is:
    Pressure [itex]P=\frac{2}{0.059\cdot 10^{-6}}=33898305 Pa[/itex]
    [tex]V=\sqrt{\frac{33898305}{8.9 \cdot 10^3}}=61.72 m/s[/tex]

V=fl (l is wavelength)

[tex]f=\frac{V}{l}=\frac{V}{4 \cdot 1.5}=\frac{61.72}{6}=10.3 Hz \approx 10 Hz[/tex]
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  6. Nov 1, 2004 #5
    Can I conceive the system to be an air column with one end closed as the l(wavelength) is equal to 4L ?

By this way, I can obtain the answer to be at least 10Hz.
  7. Nov 2, 2004 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here treat it as a rope with both ends tied to a wall.

The Mass is given so that the tension in the rope "T=Mg" can be found
    Also the mass per unit length [tex] \mu [/tex] can be found using the given data

then the velocity of the wave in the string will be
    [tex] v= \sqrt \frac{T}{ \mu} [/tex]

Using the velocity and the fact that the wavelength will correspond to
    [tex] \frac{n \lambda}{2} [/tex]
    The frequency can be found
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?