Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Is my thought right or wrong? Light and a moving observer

1. Nov 19, 2017 #21

David Lewis

Gold Member

An accelerating clock is absolutely moving.

2. Nov 19, 2017 #22

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, what he said.

3. Nov 19, 2017 #23

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In relativity, the concept of "absolute motion" doesn't exist, so it is meaningless to say that something is "absolutely moving".

4. Nov 19, 2017 #24

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

That statement is not exactly incorrect, but it is unclear enough to be interpreted in several different ways, some of which are incorrect.

Proper acceleration is absolute (in the sense that that the word is being used in this thread), coordinate acceleration is not, and there exists no inertial frame in which an object undergoing proper acceleration can be more than momentarily at rest.

5. Nov 19, 2017 #25

David Lewis

Gold Member

I'm swinging a rock around on a string, so either the whole universe is spinning, or my rock is moving.

6. Nov 19, 2017 #26

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes. And according to GR, both viewpoints are valid.

7. Nov 20, 2017 #27

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

At any given instant, it may be taken to be moving or not as one pleases. There is no inertial frame in which it is continuously at rest. But that's not the same thing as saying that it is always moving.

8. Nov 21, 2017 #28
    About the OP, I got a shortcut answer.

Let's get practical! The speed of light one way is impossible to measure, and the OP assumes that it is. In real life, we will never have to solve that kind of problem, because we will never face it, so it is no use to study it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted