1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is my tutor wasting my time?

1. Mar 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is the first part of a more complex problem but I shall give all the relevant data. A cast iron flywheel is rotating at 80rev/sec and is brought to rest in 20sec by a hydraulic braking system acting on the outer dia. of the flywheel. There is 4Nm of frictional torque in the flywheel system and co-efficient of friction of the brake interface is 0.4. I need to find the force that the brake is exerting on the flywheel. For info the brake is then connected to 2 hydraulic cylinders, of different areas, in series and then to a second order lever. However, if I can find the force at the brake I can crack the rest. I have not been given a moment of inertia or a radius for the flywheel and the more time I spend trying to solve this, the more I think that my tutor has made a mistake in not giving one of these.

2. Relevant equations

initial ang. velocity is 502.65 rads/sec before the braking

T=Fr and F=(co-eff. of friction)*N

Therefore T=co-eff.*N*r

3. The attempt at a solution

I started trying to use the above equations but the only T value I have is for frictional torque.
    The only moment of inertia value I can get is also using this fric. torque which is incorrect, I think.
    By converting rev/sec to rads/sec=502.65 I can also find the radians rotated by the flywheel. radians=1/2 (initial velocity+final velocity)*t
    =5026.5 radians
    Still cant seem to get anywhere with this. Do I need a moment of inertia or radius to get any further?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2
    There's indeed no way you can do it without the moment of inertia. I

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?