1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is my working correct?

1. Jul 26, 2009 #1
    A car is advertised as taking [tex]11.3\ s[/tex] to reach a speed of [tex]100\ kmh^{-1}[/tex]. About how far does it travel before reaching this speed?

Firstly I have tried to work out the acceleration: [tex]a=\frac{\frac{100000}{3600}}{11.3}\approx 0.2175\ ms^{-2}[/tex]

I've then used this to find the displacement: [tex]x=0.2175\times 11.3^2\approx 21.7\ m[/tex]

Am I doing something wrong? It seems like too short a displacement...

Thanks for your help

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2009 #2
    Check your conversion from [tex]\tfrac{kilometers}{hour}[/tex] to [tex]\tfrac{meters}{second}[/tex].
    Remember that for motion with constant acceleration, starting at rest, [tex]S=\tfrac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]
    Don't round your results so much. Keep your answer parametric until the very end. This is a skill you'll NEED once you get to the more complicated stuff.
    You were off by a factor VERY different from [tex]10^n[/tex] in your calculation of the average acceleration.

Another thing I feel I should mention is that you need to state your assumption that the car accelerates with a constant acceleration, as that is not always the case, and your results will vary greatly should you consider such a case.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  4. Jul 26, 2009 #3
    Awesome. Thanks for your help.
    I'm now getting the answer as [tex]\approx 314\ m[/tex] with
    [tex]a=\frac{2500}{1017}\ ms^{-2}[/tex]
    Is that correct?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  5. Jul 26, 2009 #4
    That is very close, you forgot the factor of [tex]\tfrac{1}{2}[/tex] in the displacement as a function of time formula.

6. Jul 26, 2009 #5
    Oh yeah. Oops.

Thanks again for your help. I'm sure these will become really easy after I do a few more of them.

7. Jul 26, 2009 #6
    Oh yeah, completely. By the time you get to the subject of work and energy, you'll be reciting these in your sleep. :)

And no problem, you're very welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook