1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is newtons theory of gravity kind of like our current pop theory on quantum mechanics

1. Jan 27, 2012 #1
    Seems like our general idea on the quantum level stops at predicting with great accuracy. The why, and hows seem to still evade us. Is my ideas accurate?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: Is newtons theory of gravity kind of like our current pop theory on quantum mecha

Accurate - don't think so. Current quantum theory is strongest on it's predictive ability.
    Perhaps you are thinking of a particular example?

4. Jan 28, 2012 #3
    Re: Is newtons theory of gravity kind of like our current pop theory on quantum mecha

That is all that a physical theory can ever do. Feynman says it better then I can...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Jan 29, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah that's a thought - I read that to mean that it does not predict with great accuracy.
    Sure - the quantum models are good at predicting the numbers we get but do not do much to tell us how the Universe arrives at those numbers.

It is a philosophical point that the other models don't do this either.
    I like Feynman's "Mayan" examples illustrating the danger of trying to interpret the models ... "it's got a 22 in it and 22 is a lucky number..."

QED lets us answer questions like: "how much light do we expect at point P" but won't tell us how those particular photons got there now we have detected them, but it can provide some insight into how photons may have got there in different circumstances.

That's statistics for you.

The "why" questions tend not to get answered in science much at all - that would be philosophy.

6. Jan 29, 2012 #5

It just seems to me that QM is lacking in something, the way newtons ideas of gravity was lacking. If that makes sense.

7. Jan 30, 2012 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No it doesn't. "lacking something" is too vague to have any meaning. It's like there is a Je ne sais quoi about it.

8. Jan 30, 2012 #7

Erm.. I don't get what you are trying to say. All theories are likely lacking something, the problem is finding what.

9. Jan 30, 2012 #8

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeh - there are not a lot of certainties in this Universe but one of them is that our theories are lacking in some way. We do not actually know everything ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook