Is omnipotence intrinsically paradoxical?

• Thread starter Icebreaker
  • Start date
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Iacchus32 said:
Not even cause-and-effect?
How does cause and effect establish that something must exist? The law of causality isn't even properly basic, as it presupposes that there exist agents capable of having a causal relation to one another.

Les Sleeth said:
Anyway, I can't honestly justify my prejudice, I wish I could get it out of my head. But I can say that my prejudice is against religion, and not against the religious who I judge on an individual by individual basis.
Yes, but how can one "live in the moment" and have someone ram the idea of it down your throat at the same time? Your prejudice is not unfounded.

loseyourname said:
How does cause and effect establish that something must exist? The law of causality isn't even properly basic, as it presupposes that there exist agents capable of having a causal relation to one another.
What is the effect, generally, but the "hybrid" (result) which is generated by the relation between two or more things? Obviously, it is possible for one agent to induce an effect upon (and hence modify) another.

Last edited:
Here's my idea on this.
First we must establish what god IS.

For god to be omnipotent, he cannot be a part of the universe, as in, he can't be made p of particles or strings and whatever else the universe consists of.
Why? Because if he was, he would be a slave to the laws of physics, and that's not very omnipotent.

So what we have left is an external god, one that can be called a creator.
The creator can be anything, but we know one thing, we can never interact, view, or touch him, because he is outside the universe system.

As for the infinite regress thing.
Well, something is obviously missing in the picture, we are indeed existing, in a physical universe.
The questions of infinity, time, and all such things, lie outside the human mind, so I would propose that the biggest question of them all is "what is existence?" "Why does existence exist?"

Existence lies beyond atoms and particles and strings, it lies beyond everything else.

bola said:
The creator can be anything, but we know one thing, we can never interact, view, or touch him, because he is outside the universe system.
Unless, of course, we ourselves have a spirit.

The omnipotence issue seems to be similar to the issue in the statement, "this statement is false."

When all is used (e.g., all powerful) or when a statement refers to itself or its truthfulness, then you are likely to get a paradoxical statement.

What does this mean???

What might it mean?

1. God does not exist because it "must" be omnipotent
2. God is not omnipotent and therefore is "no god at all"
3. ?

Anything else?

I think so and maybe you can help me prove option 3 or disprove it.

3. That natural language (meaning any known language) is incapable of fully and adequately describing God. So the following arguments are equivalent:
A. the rock paradox imples God is not omnipotent
B. uga buga... Ergo God is not omnipotent
C. uga buga... Ergo God is omnipotent.

I don't believe in the idea of an omnipotent being, so i'll let my friends' words be typed. (Parenthesis are my notes)
"God CAN create a rock he can't lift; He'd create it, then lift it." (Someone explain this to me?)

"God is everywhere, encompassing anything that can possibly exist" (Same thing, explination please.)

"God could create another God, but they'd still be one being" (Hmm...)

Anyway, that's what my friend told me, and so I wrote. I don't believe in the existance, but I do believe the possibility.

Yes, except in the instance of existence as a whole. The entirety of reality might be considered omnipotent, but for anything else it is a paradox.