Is one lifetime too little to learn all about the Universe?

In summary: Thanks for your understandings. In fact,... I think it's wonderful that you have such a positive outlook on learning and exploration.
DREAMWALKER
Gold Member
I am 30. I am right in the middle of my lifetime, more or less. And I wonder if half a life is enough to grasp Physics by the horns and learn all about nature?

I totally love physics, the beauty and mystery that the universe truly is. I actually feel empty without reading or seeing something about physics everyday.

I truly believe I have no other purpose in life but to keep staring at the sky in awe, all the time.

What do you think? Is one lifetime too little to grasp the most beautiful mystery of our times, Universe and space?

Space news on Phys.org
All about nature? Yes, it is too short to learn everything about nature.

Likes Ryan_m_b and Silicon Waffle
Vanadium 50 said:
All about nature? Yes, it is too short to learn everything about nature.

And the universe? I mean, it almost takes a lifetime to even understand what is already known. When do we start to exploring it our way?

DREAMWALKER said:
When do we start to exploring it our way?
Can you explain what you mean?

If you want to learn the entirety of knowledge about nature that humans have gathered so far, it would be an impossible task for one person to complete. If you were born two centuries ago (maybe even one), it would still be a feasible goal I believe. A lot of the great early scientists were polymaths. But every branch of science is sprouting ever more specialized fields and the boundary of knowledge is ever-expanding.

However, grasping the core concepts and understanding the bigger picture is do-able in my opinion. You don't need to know every nitty gritty detail of something to be able to explain how it works or behaves or to predict what will happen in a given scenario.
Mind you, this is still a gargantuan task and new discoveries that might overhaul established pictures are always lurking around the corner.

Likes Ryan_m_b
Evo said:
Can you explain what you mean?

You know...starting to build our own theories. Starting to use all the knowledge we gathered, etc.

I think there's some beauty to be found knowing we will never know it all, it is the eternal dream that will never happen it is a beautiful tragedy. If you think about it, the people who know so much, whose whole purpose in life is to know all about nature will never gain a complete understanding. All we can do is learn as much as we can and then pass it on to the next generation. I feel like that's one of the main beauties of physics and science in general. Exploring the unknown even though we will never know it all

That sounds good. I don't care about exploring the universe anymore, every time I start to read up on it, I get frustrated and disappointed a lot. I may be mentally ill, I just don't know. When people act as if I was a plague in a modern society, that's really hurtful even when I didn't mean to approach anyone any nearer at all.
I think having more things to read or learn means having more things consumed by our brain. It takes me too much time and even sickens me sometimes...Never more.

Silicon Waffle said:
That sounds good. I don't care about exploring the universe anymore, every time I start to read up on it, I get frustrated and disappointed a lot. I may be mentally ill, I just don't know. When people act as if I was a plague in a modern society, that's really hurtful even when I didn't mean to approach anyone any nearer at all.
I think having more things to read or learn means having more things consumed by our brain. It takes me too much time and even sickens me sometimes...Never more.
I understand what you feel completely, it can be really overwhelming but taking this stance on the matter is perhaps the only way i can find peace in life, accepting the fact that you will never be perfect or learn it all is very beneficial to mental health. I know I suffered the feelings you describe for a long time in fact I still get frustrated a fair bit. What do you by people treat you as a plague on modern society?

DREAMWALKER said:
You know...starting to build our own theories. Starting to use all the knowledge we gathered, etc.
I still do not understand what you mean :confused:. What you describe is already happening, and has been happening, all the time.

TheNerdConstant said:
I understand what you feel completely, it can be really overwhelming but taking this stance on the matter is perhaps the only way i can find peace in life, accepting the fact that you will never be perfect or learn it all is very beneficial to mental health. I know I suffered the feelings you describe for a long time in fact I still get frustrated a fair bit.
Thanks for your understandings. In fact, I didn't mean to get A or A+ in school. I misunderstood the course completely as I hadn't learned the materials well.
What do you by people treat you as a plague on modern society?
It is like a social stigma along with misunderstandings about the disease I have that people will not act as naturally as they should.

DREAMWALKER said:

You mean like scientists do every day?

Likes billy_joule

1. How much of the Universe can one person realistically learn in a lifetime?

It is impossible for one person to learn all there is to know about the Universe in a single lifetime. The Universe is constantly expanding and evolving, and there is an endless amount of information to be discovered and understood. However, with dedication and focus, one can certainly gain a deep understanding of many aspects of the Universe.

2. What are the best ways to learn about the Universe?

There are many ways to learn about the Universe, including reading books and articles, attending lectures and conferences, watching documentaries and videos, and conducting scientific research. The best approach will vary depending on an individual's learning style and interests.

3. Can one person become an expert in all areas of the Universe?

While it is possible for someone to have a broad knowledge of different fields within the study of the Universe, it is not realistic to become an expert in all areas. The Universe is vast and complex, and each field requires a significant amount of time and effort to truly understand and master.

4. Is there a limit to how much we can learn about the Universe?

The Universe is constantly changing and expanding, so there will always be more to learn. However, there may be limitations to our understanding based on current technology and the limits of human capabilities. As we continue to advance in technology and scientific research, our understanding of the Universe will also continue to grow.

5. How can we make the most of our limited time to learn about the Universe?

To make the most of our limited time, it is important to prioritize and focus on specific areas of interest. It is also helpful to collaborate and learn from others who have expertise in different fields. Additionally, being open to new ideas and remaining curious can lead to continuous learning and growth in our understanding of the Universe.