Is our time browser based?

• B
  • Thread starter pBrane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, Mount Everest has been in the same location in space-time, but the top has been experiencing a slower passage of time than the bottom for some 5,000 years. This difference in clocks may be due to the gravitational field of the Earth.
pBrane
You've heard about the difference measured in clocks at the top and bottom of a tall building.

The Great Pyramid of Khufu 139 meters high. The top has been experiencing a slower passage of time than the bottom for some 5,000 years. Yet they are in the same location in space-time. Mount Everest is 8,848 metres and is even more old.

What is going on? Why don't things gradually disappear?

A browser takes components from all over web and packages them as a web-page.
Is 'our time' view taking components from a range of time and packaging them as a NOW?

Physics news on Phys.org
pBrane said:
Yet they are in the same location in space-time.
No they are not.

Also consider the following example from Riemannian geometry: Rotate a sphere. There will be points on the sphere that are nearby, yet travel different distances, even if the rotation is completely rigid.

Likes QuantumQuest
pBrane said:
Why don't things gradually disappear?
Why do you think that they should disappear?

How would such a disappearance even look like?
The top of Mount Everest was there 10, 100, .. years ago, and will (probably) still be there in 10, 100, ... years, independent of the precise amount of time a clock on top will measure there.

I don't see how this would be related to a browser.

I'm sensing perhaps a sci-fi popularization issue...
In Back to the Future, when McFly starts to disappear, that's due to him altering the time line to one where he doesn't exist, not a mismatch in times.

In Star Trek, when people "phase" out of view, that's tecnobabble; gibberish.

Does the OP think that an object only exists at one point in time? And it moves forward in time, leaving the past vacant? (Like in the Langoliers)

No, objects are extended in the time direction. It's probably more correct to view things in terms of world lines, which stretch out into the past and future.

Likes Dale and mfb
Presumably the OP has read that time passes faster in weaker gravitational fields and assumes that means the top of mount Everest ages and erodes faster than the bottom?

CWatters said:
Presumably the OP has read that time passes faster in weaker gravitational fields and assumes that means the top of mount Everest ages and erodes faster than the bottom?
My take was some kind of "if time up top is passing faster than at the bottom then the top must be receding into the future and will eventually disappear".

Untrained intuitions can come up with that kind of stuff.

Likes 1oldman2
Heres a far out theory for you. Time travels at the same speed everywhere. It is the same time now over at the edge of the known universe or in the centre of a black hole as it is here. It is now and it will be tomorrow. Gravity and other energies affects the measuring instruments, not time. Gravity causes decay, it does not change time. Makes perfect sense to me, is that not what Einsteins theory of relativity says?

I think @Khashishi found the right point.

tkyoung75 said:
Gravity and other energies affects the measuring instruments, not time.
There is no difference between those. If everything runs slower, then time passes slower - by the definition of "passage of time". You can invent a new parameter that does something different, but then you should not call it time, and it also has no particular application in our universe.

Please keep in mind that physicsforum is not a place for personal speculations beyond mainstream science.

Likes pBrane and 1oldman2
As mainstream physics said to ... everybody who was ever proven them wrong.
Honestly, I am not trying to make enemies or cause trouble on the forum, and I apologise for confronting the status quo. I am just searching for answers to unanswered questions.
No difference between what? Time and decay? Time and the clock?
I tried to respond but i'll have to put it off for another time (he), perhaps in another discussion. For now, let's just say I see flaws in the argument that time is variable.

tkyoung75 said:
As mainstream physics said to ... everybody who was ever proven them wrong.
Honestly, I am not trying to make enemies or cause trouble on the forum, and I apologise for confronting the status quo. I am just searching for answers to unanswered questions.
No difference between what? Time and decay? Time and the clock?
I tried to respond but i'll have to put it off for another time (he), perhaps in another discussion. For now, let's just say I see flaws in the argument that time is variable.
It's great that you want to learn, but you may want to consider that a whole lot of people put a whole lot of time and effort into figuring out this thing that you are just starting to dip a toe into - and that the best course of action is probably just to be a sponge and absorb what is already very well understood.

Likes Evo and 1oldman2
pBrane said:
You've heard about the difference measured in clocks at the top and bottom of a tall building.

The Great Pyramid of Khufu 139 meters high. The top has been experiencing a slower passage of time than the bottom for some 5,000 years. Yet they are in the same location in space-time. Mount Everest is 8,848 metres and is even more old.

What is going on? Why don't things gradually disappear?

A browser takes components from all over web and packages them as a web-page.
Is 'our time' view taking components from a range of time and packaging them as a NOW?

I expect that the elements at the bottom of the pyramid will decay faster than those at the top, not only because of the static load of the rock and atmosphere above, but also minus to a lesser degree due to the forces of gravity, and furthermore how it 'bends' around the solar bodies and gets it its orbital velocity and solar wind.

tkyoung75 said:
I expect that the elements at the bottom of the pyramid will decay faster than those at the top, not only because of the static load of the rock and atmosphere above, but also minus to a lesser degree due to the forces of gravity, and furthermore how it 'bends' around the solar bodies and gets it its orbital velocity and solar wind.
This strikes me as a mish-mosh of misunderstandings so poorly expressed as to not even be wrong. I suggest you do some reading on the fundamentals of the concepts before posting further. Follow the rule of "when you realize you dug yourself into a hole, stop digging."

Likes russ_watters, Evo, 1oldman2 and 1 other person
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread will remain closed per the PF rules.

1. What does it mean for a time to be browser based?

When we say our time is browser based, it means that the time is displayed and accessed through a web browser, rather than a traditional clock or watch. This means that the time is synced with the internet and may be affected by factors such as time zone and daylight savings.

2. How accurate is a browser based time?

The accuracy of a browser based time depends on the source it is synced with. Most browser based times are synced with official time servers, which are highly accurate and constantly updated. However, factors such as internet connection and server maintenance may affect the accuracy of the time displayed.

3. Can I trust a browser based time for important events?

It is generally not recommended to rely on a browser based time for important events, as there may be slight variations or discrepancies compared to official time sources. It is best to use a traditional clock or watch for important events that require precise timing.

4. How can I change the time on a browser based clock?

The time on a browser based clock is usually synced with your device's system time. To change the time, you can adjust the time and date settings on your device's operating system. Some browser based times also have the option to manually set the time or choose a different time zone.

5. Are there any advantages to using a browser based time?

One advantage of using a browser based time is that it is easily accessible and can be synced with different devices. This makes it convenient for people who work on different computers or devices. Additionally, some browser based times may also have additional features such as displaying the date and providing world clock options.