The Power of Intuition: Exploring Overcharging

In summary, overcharging a battery can cause it to produce excess voltage, causing the battery to swell up, become hot, and potentially lose electrolyte through boiling. Undercharging, on the other hand, does not typically harm the battery but may prevent it from starting.
versine
Homework Statement
All other things being equal, are you more likely to "burn out" the starter motor on your automobile if the battery is overcharged or undercharged?
Relevant Equations
Faraday's law and motional emf
I'm pretty sure the answer is overcharged by intuition. Can someone provide a reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're likely to ruin the battery by overcharging long before you could get to where it would hurt the starter (BUT ... I'm not an auto guy so take that w/ a grain of salt). I don't think overcharging raises the voltage level much, it just screws up the electrolyte.

If you're undercharged, I don't think that hurts the starter, you just won't start.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
phinds said:
I think you're likely to ruin the battery by overcharging long before you could get to where it would hurt the starter (BUT ... I'm not an auto guy so take that w/ a grain of salt). I don't think overcharging raises the voltage level much, it just screws up the electrolyte.

If you're undercharged, I don't think that hurts the starter, you just won't start.
from: https://itstillruns.com/causes-alternator-overcharge-7391992.html
"Alternators that overcharge will typically produce excess voltage to the battery, making the battery case swell up, become very hot and lose its electrolyte through boiling."

Can anyone explain why overcharging will produce excess voltage (and I assume undercharging will produce decreased voltage)?

1. What is intuition?

Intuition is the ability to understand or know something without the need for conscious reasoning or logical thought. It is often described as a gut feeling or instinctual knowledge.

2. How does intuition relate to overcharging?

Intuition can play a role in identifying when something is overcharging. It may manifest as a feeling of discomfort or unease when making a purchase or decision related to money.

3. Can intuition be trusted when it comes to financial decisions?

Intuition can be a valuable tool in making financial decisions, but it should not be the sole factor. It is important to also consider logical reasoning, research, and advice from trusted sources.

4. Can intuition be developed or improved?

Yes, intuition can be developed and improved through practices such as mindfulness, meditation, and paying attention to your thoughts and feelings. It is also important to trust and act on your intuition when it proves to be accurate.

5. How can overcharging be avoided using intuition?

By paying attention to your intuition and recognizing when it is signaling that something may be overcharging, you can make more informed decisions and avoid unnecessary expenses. It is also helpful to research prices and compare options before making a purchase.