Is P/NP a Good Option for My Probability Class?

• Thread starter blaughli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, a physics graduate student is considering taking a probability class outside of their major and is struggling to decide whether to aim for an A or just pass. They are concerned that some graduate schools may view a pass grade as a C when calculating GPA. The opinion is that graduate school admissions are based on a holistic view, taking into consideration the overall preparation of the student rather than strictly following set rules. This may vary between different fields and countries.
blaughli
I'm a west coast physics MS student who wishes to keep PhD doors open as wide as possible. I'm taking a probability class outside of my major, and I really like it but I've made a few mistakes on quizzes and now I'm not sure I'll pull off the A. It's still doable but life would be less stressful if I could just earn a PASS instead of fighting for an A. However, I've heard that some grad schools consider PASS grades as C's when calculating GPA.

Does anyone know a breakdown of which schools don't mind and which do? I've heard that East Coast schools don't like P/NP while west coast schools don't care. How true is that? Any opinions on this in general?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
blaughli said:
It's still doable but life would be less stressful if I could just earn a PASS instead of fighting for an A. However, I've heard that some grad schools consider PASS grades as C's when calculating GPA.

I don't think that physics graduate schools look at GPA's this way.

Does anyone know a breakdown of which schools don't mind and which do? I've heard that East Coast schools don't like P/NP while west coast schools don't care. How true is that? Any opinions on this in general?

Things can change based on who is on the committee. Assuming that your GPA isn't so low that you are hitting minimum limits (in which case you are dead whatever you do), graduate school admissions are "holistic." Rather following a strict rule, the question is how well is the student prepared for a graduate program.

If all your other classes are A's, people will assume that you did decently in a PASS class. If all your other classes are C's, people will assume that you just squeaked by in the PASS class.

Again this is for physics graduate schools in the United States. The rules for other fields and other countries can be very different. If the person who told you this was in some other field then what they tell you is probably not applicable for physics.

1. Is Pass/NoPass grading system effective?

The effectiveness of Pass/NoPass grading system depends on the specific context and goals of the course. In some cases, it can motivate students to focus on learning instead of grades, while in others it may lead to a lack of challenge and effort.

2. Will Pass/NoPass affect my GPA?

Pass/NoPass courses typically do not affect your GPA as they do not receive a letter grade. However, it is always best to check with your institution's policies to confirm.

3. Is Pass/NoPass grading system fair?

This is a controversial topic and opinions may vary. Some argue that it is fairer as it eliminates the pressure of grades and encourages students to take risks and learn from mistakes. Others argue that it is unfair as it does not differentiate between levels of achievement.

4. How does Pass/NoPass affect graduate school admissions?

Graduate schools typically prefer letter grades as they provide a better understanding of a student's performance. However, if your transcript includes both letter grades and Pass/NoPass grades, it may not have a significant impact on admissions.

5. Can I change a Pass/NoPass course to a graded course later?

It depends on the policies of your institution. Some institutions may allow this change within a specific timeframe, while others may not allow it at all. It is best to check with your academic advisor or institution's policies for more information.