Is Your Website Slowing Down Due to Excessive Bot Traffic?

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: Zz.Welcome back! :tongue:Both web browser (Firefox and IE) on my computer are not showing the skin properly. Alot of line and borders are missing from the normal skin. Am I the only gettting this? It was fine when I logged in last night but everything went wrong this morning.Nope, you're not the only one. I'm getting that too.Strangely enough, this morning, I was viewing PF using Firefox but on the Mac Powerbook, and it looked fine. Now I'm at work on Windows using Firefox, and I'm getting what you are seeing.I'm on Windows XP, if it's of
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, what is wrong with PF? I was unable to connect yesterday evening i.e. 7:30PM(IST) and it is taking too long to connect today morning.

The network admin and I are working to diagnosis the problem.

What's the problem with browsing at 3am?

I dunno, but I just couldnot connect to PF yesterday... :frown:

VietDao29 said:
I dunno, but I just couldnot connect to PF yesterday... :frown:

Greg was having such a rowdy party for his birthday yesterday that he tripped over the power cord and unplugged PF.

:)

Zz.

Er.. for some odd reason, the Edit button isn't work this morning.

Zz.

OK, it's weirder than I thought. I couldn't edit posts in GD and in 2 of my posts in the Physics forums, but I just managed to edit my post in the Academic/Career forum.

However, if I click on the post number, and then hit the edit button from that window, it works just fine!

PF is possessed!

Zz.

There are mornings when I cannot even get on, because the computer says that "Page Cannot Be Displayed" stuff.

scott_alexsk said:
There are mornings when I cannot even get on, because the computer says that "Page Cannot Be Displayed" stuff.
I get that too, with sometimes irritating frequency.

Another hiccup!

It's interesting to be 1 of 2 in GD, or 1 of 8 in the forum. Eerily quiet. :uhh:

Was it just me? Or were there connection problems this morning?

yes it was down, I'm aware of it. It cause seems to be with mysql, for some reason it's hitting the server hard, my first guess is that there are some slow queries that are bogging it down. Most likely from one of our hacks. It will take more time to find which queries are slow and how to optimize them.

Astronuc said:
It's interesting to be 1 of 2 in GD, or 1 of 8 in the forum. Eerily quiet. :uhh:
I noticed that last night. It was really weird. All of a sudden, there were only 8 or 9 members online, and within about 5 min, 30 or 40 had appeared again.

Sorry Greg, we're just such addicts and have gotten used to this being such a reliable forum that we just don't know what to do when it's down! Now, if you'd please let it only go down between 9 AM and 6 PM Eastern Time on weekdays, I might get a ton more work done...but do I really want to? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I noticed that last night. It was really weird. All of a sudden, there were only 8 or 9 members online, and within about 5 min, 30 or 40 had appeared again.

Sorry Greg, we're just such addicts and have gotten used to this being such a reliable forum that we just don't know what to do when it's down! Now, if you'd please let it only go down between 9 AM and 6 PM Eastern Time on weekdays, I might get a ton more work done...but do I really want to? :biggrin:

So, true. If PF is down and I got free time, I have no idea what to do sometimes.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Cross your fingers, I think I fixed the problem.
I can't type if my fingers are crossed...but YAY! :biggrin:

Er... not sure if this is the result of Greg having fixed the no-connection problem, but it seems that those "asterisks" markers that mark which thread you participate in are not appearing on new threads. I still have those markers on the old threads that I've participated in. But on the new ones (since this morning), those things seem to not appear.

Can we have those back?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Er... not sure if this is the result of Greg having fixed the no-connection problem, but it seems that those "asterisks" markers that mark which thread you participate in are not appearing on new threads. I still have those markers on the old threads that I've participated in. But on the new ones (since this morning), those things seem to not appear.

Can we have those back?

Zz.

recheck your subscription settings

Greg Bernhardt said:
recheck your subscription settings

Ah yes.. it somehow got reset to "No subscription" rather than "no email notificaton".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Ah yes.. it somehow got reset to "No subscription" rather than "no email notificaton".

Zz.
I finally figured out that was my problem too. For some reason, that setting didn't "stick" and took several attempts before it finally did...and then I realized it just didn't help much anyway, and turned it back off. :rolleyes:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Cross your fingers, I think I fixed the problem.
It was down this morning, not sure for how long.

It was down again two minutes ago.

Is it me, or has PF been rather ... er ... "tempermental" ever since the brain transplant? It is behaving like a spoiled child, often refusing to get up in the morning, and some time even in the afternoon/evening!

Does it need a good spanking?

:)

Zz.

Aaaaarghhh! Make it stop! I can't take these outages any more. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Spanking doesn't work for obstinate children!

Arrghh, PF was down yet again yesterday 9 P.M Pacific Time. And as a result, I lost the post I was composing last night. :frown:
And is it me, or PF is slowing down? Sometimes, it just takes ages to load a page.

<ZapperZ wonders if PF is now back for good...>

Zz.

I'm hoping that last night's really brief outage was the one we were waiting for (though I went to bed early, so maybe Greg waited until very late to take it down for the fix). I really hope that fixed it for good.

It's just been down again for an hour. :frown:

Evo said:
It's just been down again for an hour. :frown:
Just came back on for me too (except, I wasn't checking every 10 seconds :wink:) .

Gokul43201 said:
Just came back on for me too (except, I wasn't checking every 10 seconds :wink:) .
:redface: I only checked every 15 seconds, so Greg only has a couple of hundred e-mail notifications from me. :blushing:

Status Reports ?

To help keep up with current system status I set up a “Group” on Yahoo
Keeping it as simple as possible
ANYONE can see a System Status Message by viewing it on line at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PhysicsForums/

ANYONE can send in a Message by send a TEXT ONLY E-mail to:

PhysicsForums@yahoogroups.com

Yahoo security blocks half the E-mail address of incoming Senders from public view.

Group MEMBERSHIP IS NOT REQUIRED.
For sending in or for viewing on line, anyone can without membership.

If anyone sees any benefit of using some of the other free group features Yahoo provides by having some Mentors etc on PF become members and moderators on this yahoo group it can easily be done.
Including reassigning my ownership of the Yahoo Group, to someone like Greg.

But, for a simple status update this may be all that is needed.
Plus once we have this little umbrella, I’m hoping it will stop raining anyway.
If it's of no benifit it will 'expire' on its own.

Greg – PM me if you want to “OWN” this thing – Yahoo only allows one owner.
But owner can assign several Moderators to help administer.

RB

It is a good idea, but I sincerely hope that we don't have to rely on another public forum just to keep up with PF.

:(

Zz (still stressing out on PF outtage last night)

ZapperZ said:
It is a good idea, but I sincerely hope that we don't have to rely on another public forum just to keep up with PF.
:(
Zz (still stressing out on PF outtage last night)
Me Too
And I don't think it will change that PF might go down from time to time.

But it can at least give addicts something to do when it does.