Phenol: Is it an Alcohol?

In summary, phenol does not belong to alcohols as it has a hydroxyl group attached to a sp2 carbon, rather than a sp3 carbon. However, it is important for chemists to use quantitative and empirical data rather than hearsay, and to design and perform experiments to support their conclusions. Insults are not allowed at the PF and any posts containing them will be deleted.
Hithesh
Does phenol belong to alcohols?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hithesh said:
Does phenol belong to alcohols?

Ok, well that's part of being a successful Chemist right? You have to dig and try and answer it yourself. It's the struggle of trying to do it yourself that makes you become better. Investigate it and based on the data you find, reach some sort of conclusion and then come back and say, "well I think it does based on these facts" or "I don't think it does based on these facts". Even better, propose some sort of experiment to "experimentally" support your conclusions.

Last edited:
jackmell said:
Ok, well that's part of being a successful Chemist right? You have to dig and try and answer it yourself. It's the struggle of trying to do it yourself that makes you become better. Investigate it and based on the data you find, reach some sort of conclusion and then come back and say, "well I think it does based on these facts" or "I don't think it does based on these facts". Even better, propose some sort of experiment to "experimentally" support your conclusions.

I heard somewhere that only when hydroxyl group is bonded to sp3 carbon atom, the organic compound is an alcohol and in phenol, hydroxyl group is attached to sp2 carbon. I wanted to know whether this is true or whether such compounds can also be treated as alcohols.

Hithesh said:
I heard somewhere that only when hydroxyl group is bonded to sp3 carbon atom, the organic compound is an alcohol and in phenol, hydroxyl group is attached to sp2 carbon. I wanted to know whether this is true or whether such compounds can also be treated as alcohols.

Hello Hithesh,

I don't know the answer without reviewing and I have a chemistry degree. However my point is not so much the answer but I think more importantly how to be a good Chemist. So in that regard, the statement "I heard somewhere" just won't do as it's not quantitative, and Chemistry is all about hard empirical data, what you can prove experimentally. Think of all the great chemists in history and the marvelous chemistry experiments they did. That's what chemistry is all about: where precisely did you hear this? What verifiable reference can you site? What does the Merck Index say? CRC? Others? If you were my student, since you asked, I would ask you to kindly design a (chemical) experiment with say phenol and isopropanol to experimentally confirm one or two interesting properties the later has which the former does not have or something else interesting and then actually do the lab work and write up your results. That's Chemistry. :)

Just trying to help you.

I gave the answer but it was deleted. Donno why. Go ask Berkeman.

Almeisan said:
I gave the answer but it was deleted. Donno why. Go ask Berkeman.

As the warning you received explained, insults are never allowed at the PF. You are welcome to re-post without the insults. The rest of your post looked very useful.

1. What is phenol?

Phenol is a chemical compound that is also known as carbolic acid. It is a colorless, crystalline solid that has a distinct smell and is highly toxic.

2. Is phenol an alcohol?

Yes, phenol is considered an alcohol because it contains a hydroxyl group (-OH) attached to an aromatic ring. However, it does not behave like a typical alcohol chemically.

3. What are the properties of phenol?

Phenol is highly acidic, soluble in water, and has a high melting and boiling point. It is also corrosive to skin and can cause severe burns. It has a strong, distinct odor and is flammable.

4. What are the uses of phenol?

Phenol has various industrial uses, including production of plastics, dyes, and pharmaceuticals. It is also used in disinfectants, antiseptics, and as a germicide in medical settings.

5. Is phenol dangerous?

Yes, phenol is a highly toxic substance and can cause severe skin burns, respiratory problems, and even death if ingested. It should be handled with caution and proper protective equipment should be worn when working with it.