1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Is physics for me?

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1
    Hi, I am wondering if physics could be suited for me in terms of a career choice in the future. I absolutely love physics and I've always loved math. Ever since I was put into algebra ahead of all my peers I've always been one of the best math students with least amount of effort it seemed. But the only problem is I really dislike chemistry and I was wondering if I could still succeed in theoretical physics and/or quantum physics without being a chemistry wizz.

thanks for any responses
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The Physics will help your learning of Chemistry. You will still need one year of general lower division Chemistry coursework for any degree in Physics or in Engineering.

Physics or something like it is probably for you if you find yourself interested in Physics and good with Mathematics.
  4. Feb 4, 2009 #3
    The question is *why* do you dislike chemistry. Your entry level chemistry course might focus more on memorization than the "why's and how's". If that's the case, that's in line with everything else you said, and yes you're cut out for physics.

Ehh, just read the last part of your post. sure, you could dislike chemistry nad other material subjects and do very well in theoretical physics.
  5. Feb 4, 2009 #4
    Theoretical physics is completely disjoint from chemistry. It's actually closer to pure math than the physics taught in high school/undergrad curricula.
  6. Feb 12, 2009 #5
    I know how you feel, Billy.
    I love Physics and am very good at it, but I absolutely hate Chemistry and am generally very bad at it (bad position to be in for an AP chem student...)
    If it helps, my dad explained to me that the reason I hate it so much is because there are more broken rules than rules, basically, the ones where you have to memorize both the rules and all the 10 thousand exceptions to the rule.

Anyway, hope that explanation helped and I wanted to point out that I hate chemistry.
  7. Feb 13, 2009 #6
    I completely stopped my study of chemistry at age 16 and that has not retarded my development in physics an iota.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?