Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is precession timeless?

1. May 5, 2005 #1
    I read it somewhere and it would make sense if you considered time as spin.
    What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2005 #2
    Can you explain your idea in more detail?

4. May 5, 2005 #3
    Earth´s precession is odd:
    Precession appears without being the Earth an uncompensated gyroscope since the center of mass and the center of rotation are in the same straight line.
    It goes against earth rotation like if it was a delay in time.
    Is a spinning force that appears not to have an obvious reaction.
    Its been suggested the ancients knew about precession and even that pole shifts may occur every given certain time.
    I know this last point is crazy but is so odd they noticed a 24.000 years rotation so long ago

5. May 5, 2005 #4
    I mean could time and precession be equivalent forces if time is to be considered a force of spin?
    It would be interesting because precession can go both ways.

6. May 5, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's no physics in this "discussion". This is in the wrong forum. Moving to philosophy...

7. May 5, 2005 #6

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

There is no philosophy in this thread either. The question can probably best be considered one of either earth science or cosmology. The answer is no. Neither time nor precession are forces. Time is time, and precession is a sequence of events that occur in time. If you wanted, you could use them to measure time, though I'm sure how regular they are relative to the events that we currently use to measure time.

8. May 5, 2005 #7

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agreed, this is not a philosophy topic. But I'm not sure if moving it to earth science is worth it, because it doesn't seem to have much scientific merit either. I think loseyourname addressed the point adequately, and there's not much more left to say.

Last edited: May 5, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?