Is profit/loss% always wrt price

• Thread starter rajeshmarndi
  • Start date
In summary, the merchant in this problem is actually making a 14.28% profit on his sales of tea, despite professing a 4% loss. This is because he is using a weight of 840 grams instead of the standard 1000 grams, deceiving his customers and shorting them on the amount of tea they think they are purchasing. This results in a larger profit for the merchant, as he is able to sell more tea with less cost.
rajeshmarndi
A merchant professes to lose 4% on tea but uses a weight equal to 840 gm instead of 1 kg. Find his real loss% or profit%.

Book solution:
If cp(cost price) of 1 kg is x , then sp(selling price) of 1 kg = 96/100 x i.e .96x (4% loss). Which is actually sp of 840 gm.

cp of 840 gm= x/1000*840=.84x

So, when cp =.84x, sp is .96x
when cp=100 , sp = .96x/.84x*100=114.28

i.e 14.28% profit

My workout:
I want to solve it without using the price, like in the above. I know the merchant professes a loss of 4%.

i.e instead of giving 100gm tea, he is giving the customer 104 gm tea, i.e a loss of 4 gm tea.

Since he uses 840 gm in place of 1 kg. So when he will sell 1 kg tea, he professes a loss of 4% i.e he will give customer 1040 gm tea, which actally will be 840/1000*1040 = 873.6 gm.

So he is making a profit of 1000 - 873.6 = 126.4 gm on 1000gm.
So on 100 gm, his profit = 12.64%.

Whats wrong on my workout. is it that the loss/profit % is always on price?

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
rajeshmarndi said:
A merchant professes to lose 4% on tea but uses a weight equal to 840 gm instead of 1 kg. Find his real loss% or profit%.

Book solution:
If cp(cost price) of 1 kg is x , then sp(selling price) of 1 kg = 96/100 x i.e .96x (4% loss). Which is actually sp of 840 gm.

cp of 840 gm= x/1000*840=.84x

So, when cp =.84x, sp is .96x
when cp=100 , sp = .96x/.84x*100=114.28

i.e 14.28% profit

My workout:
I want to solve it without using the price, like in the above. I know the merchant professes a loss of 4%.

i.e instead of giving 100gm tea, he is giving the customer 104 gm tea, i.e a loss of 4 gm tea.

Since he uses 840 gm in place of 1 kg. So when he will sell 1 kg tea, he professes a loss of 4% i.e he will give customer 1040 gm tea, which actally will be 840/1000*1040 = 873.6 gm.

So he is making a profit of 1000 - 873.6 = 126.4 gm on 1000gm.
So on 100 gm, his profit = 12.64%.

Whats wrong on my workout. is it that the loss/profit % is always on price?

Thank you.

In this case, price is what you have to go on. You don't know anything else about the tea merchant's business, only what is given in the problem statement.

I don't think your solution is valid because it gets the particular circumstances of the merchant's deception backwards.

The merchant is not giving his customers extra tea at the same price, as occurs in your approach; he is shorting the customer on the amount of tea each has thought was being purchased.

Instead of a customer getting 1000 grams of tea in his order, the merchant actually furnishes only 840 grams. What do you think happens to the missing 160 grams? Does the merchant drink it himself? Or does he turn around and sell it to another customer? Remember, this is the same 160 grams of tea which another customer thought he had already purchased from the merchant and took home.

It's like the old joke: we lose money on every sale, but we make up for it in volume. :wink:

1. What is the definition of profit/loss%?

Profit/loss% is a financial metric that measures the percentage of profit or loss in relation to the cost or price of a product or service. It is calculated by dividing the difference between the selling price and the cost by the cost and multiplying by 100.

2. Is profit/loss% always calculated based on the price of a product?

No, profit/loss% can also be calculated based on the cost of a product. In this case, it is called markup/markdown%. Markup refers to the percentage of profit added to the cost price, while markdown refers to the percentage of discount applied to the cost price.

3. Does profit/loss% reflect the overall financial health of a business?

No, profit/loss% only reflects the profitability of a specific product or service. To assess the overall financial health of a business, other financial metrics such as revenue, expenses, and net income should also be considered.

4. How does profit/loss% affect pricing decisions?

Profit/loss% is an important factor to consider when making pricing decisions. A higher profit/loss% indicates a higher profit margin, while a lower profit/loss% indicates a lower profit margin. Businesses need to balance their profit/loss% with other factors such as competition, demand, and cost of production to determine the optimal pricing strategy.

5. Is profit/loss% always a reliable measure of a product's success?

No, profit/loss% is not always a reliable measure of a product's success. It does not take into account other factors such as marketing and advertising expenses, which may impact the profitability of a product. Additionally, a high profit/loss% does not necessarily mean a product is successful, as it may not reflect consumer satisfaction or market demand.

Back