Is prostitution a form of modern day slavery?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary: First off, there is no 'sole basis and source of morality'. Morality comes from within, it is not dictated by anyone else. Secondly, even if there were such a thing as a 'sole basis and source of morality', it would not make Christianity the only source. There are many other sources of morality, some of which are much more valid than Christianity. Finally, if you can't even qualify as an 'expert' on your own topic, how can you possibly be qualified to offer an opinion on anything else?In summary, this conversation is pointless and irrelevant.
ray b said:
slander is a FALSE charge
so true facts cannot be slander

and if a group has a true history of immoral acts
in my oppinon that shows their true nature far better then
all their moral BS

watch what they do, before following what they say
or as JC said it " actions not words "

ray b, I know what slander is; my original statement stands. Do you know what ad hominem means?

Physics news on Phys.org
Prometheus said:
When YOU consider these factors, it seems apparent to ME...

How pedantic of you. I guess I'm lucky I did not use a preposition to end my sentence with.

case close, conclusion is Prostitution is Bad.

Saint said:

Hooray ! Can we close this thread now ? :tongue2:

Saint said:
For me and for you it is bad. I have listed several reasons why I think it is bad, as you have.

Let me ask you something, and this is where the dilema is for me, what if a young woman gets trapped into prostitution. Say she is an uneducated runaway. She hates the business, but her pimp keeps her in it. She is afraid to leave and unable to quit. Is she immoral? The pimp is -- I don't even find this point debateable -- but is the prostitute?

Morality has a lot to do with the situation. Killing for most people is immoral, was killing Hitler?

Gokul43201 said:
Hooray ! Can we close this thread now ? :tongue2:

I agree. This topic is getting weary. :zzz:

Zanta: I don't think we will should go around banning sexual freedom.

However I believe by exploiting sexuality the way society does, pleasure that could be gained from relationships is lost. Basically the current situation gains the world pleasure but denies it a pleasure I believe to be even greater.

People seem to be quick to lean towards occasional pleasure rather than look and seek fufillment. I often look at society as a group of children. If you put some children in a room and put in a video game and two games. One game is easy and fun immediately while the other is said to be more enjoyable, but hard to get used to.

Most kids would probably go for the quick fix. By putting prostitutions on the street avaliable for use I believe people are being deprived of a higher enjoyment.

Most people aren't extremely good at doing the most moral thing. It's often hard for the strongest people to do the best thing. By taking away the knife people are less likely to get stabbed. Society doesn't evolve and learn as well as an optomistic person would like. I believe limits need to be set.

I'm not trying to press my beliefs on anyone. I just enjoy discussing issues.

The pimp is -- I don't even find this point debateable -- but is the prostitute?

In what way is the pimp keeping her in it? You've got to be more specific.

I believe that Hitler killed himself?

Dagenais said:
"You've got to..." A very polite way for you to ask for more information.

Do you seriously not know how a pimp might force a girl into prostitution, or do you just wonder if others know?

Dagenais said:

Does it matter exactly how? There is more than one way. In that case, the pimp is forcing the prostitute to do something against her will, so, yes, the pimp is immoral. The prostitute is not consenting. In this case, it becomes rape. I have less of a question of the morality of the prostitute in this case (she is given no choice, so is a victim) as to that of the john, who is essentially the rapist. Does it matter that he doesn't know she is not consenting? Is he guilty of rape, or another victim of the pimp?

Dooga Blackrazor said:
Zanta: I don't think we will should go around banning sexual freedom.

However I believe by exploiting sexuality the way society does, pleasure that could be gained from relationships is lost. Basically the current situation gains the world pleasure but denies it a pleasure I believe to be even greater.

People seem to be quick to lean towards occasional pleasure rather than look and seek fufillment. I often look at society as a group of children. If you put some children in a room and put in a video game and two games. One game is easy and fun immediately while the other is said to be more enjoyable, but hard to get used to.

Most kids would probably go for the quick fix. By putting prostitutions on the street avaliable for use I believe people are being deprived of a higher enjoyment.

Most people aren't extremely good at doing the most moral thing. It's often hard for the strongest people to do the best thing. By taking away the knife people are less likely to get stabbed. Society doesn't evolve and learn as well as an optimistic person would like. I believe limits need to be set.

I'm not trying to press my beliefs on anyone. I just enjoy discussing issues.

While traditional relationships work for the majority of people, for some it does not. I won't go into the various reasons guys use prostitutes. They all have their reasons I'm sure. But obviously there's a need or there wouldn't be any prostitution to begin with. Personally, I've never been with one, nor do I personally know anyone who has. But I still recognize that it's a business and They are filling a need which doesn't affect anyone outside of the 2 people involved, who are both consenting adults. Freedom of choice.

To stay with the video game analogy, for some men they'd rather play a quick game of pac man because they don't have time for a long drawn out game like final fantasy. They don't have time to sit and develop a relationship and all that goes with it. They just want to satisfy their physical need and that's it. Inferring that they don't know how to have a proper relationship, or that they won't develop emotionally is a big generalizing stretch. Maybe it's the guy's bachelor party. Maybe he's between relationships and doesn't want to become entagled with someone. There are many valid reasons for doing it. Everyone who uses a prostitute isn't the dreg of society-just ask Heidi Fliece(sp?)

Does it matter exactly how?

Yes, of course!

There is more than one way.

That is why it matters!

Is he guilty of rape, or another victim of the pimp?

Is the pimp the rapist? Doesn't he have to technically have intercourse with the girl?

So, he's guilty of being a pimp - not a rapist.

Dagenais said:

I believe that Hitler killed himself?
Yeah, I think you're right about Hitler, it was probably the most moral thing he ever did.

I said that she is afraid to leave, this implies threat of violence. As others have said, she is not willing, he is keeping her in the business, so this is involuntary servitude (slavery). in the USA it is not only illegal, but unconstitutional. Since she dislikes the business and is an unwilling particiapant in the sex act, the pimp is also guilty of accessory to rape because he is aware that a rape is taking place and is not making any attempt to stop it.