1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Q a lattice?

1. Sep 24, 2003 #1
    I'm reading "A Course in Advanced Calculus" by Robert Borden, and one of the problems begins as follows:

"Prove that the field Q is a lattice, but not a (sigma)-lattice, under the usual order" (pg.25)

Q is of course the rational numbers.

However, Q doesn't seem to be a lattice, since the supremum of, say, [0,1] doesn't exist, since given any upper bound eg 1.1, a smaller upper bound eg 1.01 that is still in Q can be found.

So is Q not in fact a lattice, or am I missing something?

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2003 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1 is a least upper bound of [0, 1]

4. Sep 25, 2003 #3
    It is, isn't it. I feel silly. At the risk of getting another simple answer to a stupid question, what about an interval between 0 and a positive irrational number, say sqrt(2). Does the supremum of such an interval lie within Q?

5. Sep 25, 2003 #4
    On further thought, I'll answer my own question (or try to). The subset I described isn't finite, so it's lack of a supremum doesn't mean that Q isn't a lattice.

6. Sep 25, 2003 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Exactly right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?