Is Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Physics the same?

• Thread starter MohammadK
  • Start date
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
RandallB said:
YOURSBeing a part of something is not the same as the whole.

And this is why someone said this is all SEMANTICS. What DIFFERENCE does it make, especially in the body of knowledge of physics?

Look in the field of study of NMR. YOu will find "imaging" being done on solid surfaces. Yet, they call themselves "NMR" techniques. Look at the spectroscopy done in this field. They also call these "NMR". MRI would have been (and WAS being called) NMR if it weren't for the irrational fear of the word "nuclear", and you wouldn't have known any difference.

Open ANY book that calls itself "quantum physics", and tell me if you see ANY difference with a book that calls itself "quantum mechanics". If you see no difference, then don't you have BETTER things to waste your time on than THIS?

Zz.

Wikipedia said:
We will use the term "quantum mechanics" to refer to both relativistic and non-relativistic quantum mechanics; the terms quantum physics and quantum theory are synonymous. It should be noted, however, that certain authors refer to "quantum mechanics" in the more restricted sense of non-relativistic quantum mechanics.
I especially liked the 'We will use' phrase. Like Wiki and Humpty, when I use a word, it means exactly what I intend it to mean, no more, no less.

Thanks Jimmy
At least somebody "gets it".
And yes there are better things to do then expect someone to "get it" that just doesn't want to.
I think were done here.

reilly
Science Advisor
RandallB -- I guess you somehow did not get the gist of my comment (#9), which plainly says that all do not subscribe to treating all three names interchangeably. Perhaps the problem that my language is too subtle.

Re quantized energies for photons: absolutely brilliant insight, clearly got QM/T/P going. But, as much as you may long for those older, heroic days, you must deal with the problems of dynamics. And, the history of that endeavor is not yet completed, and, of course, the approaches used many years ago did not prove to be enduring.

It's best for all to concentrate on the physics, not what's it called. If you can reach back in time, and resurrect the Old Quantum Theory -- or what ever you wish to call it -- and make it work now, so much the better. Do it.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

PS Of course it's all semantics; last I knew, semantics is the study of meanings, which is clearly what this thread is about (sorry about ending a sentence with a preposition, for which I apologize.)