Is DDR2 Compatible with RDRAM? Help Me Upgrade My System!

• Thread starter Argentum Vulpes
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is updating their four-year-old system with a new motherboard, CPU, memory, video, and possibly a new power supply. They are looking for a motherboard that can run their desired components, including a P4 3.0Ghz CPU, 512k RDRAM PC-800 memory, nVIDIA GeForce 6600 video card, and an 80GB IDE ULTRA ATA133 hard drive. However, they are having trouble finding a motherboard that can run all of these components at their optimal clock speeds. They are considering DDR2 boards, but are concerned about the slower clock speeds and high cost of RDRAM. They are looking for recommendations for a suitable motherboard and processor. Additionally, they are aware of
Argentum Vulpes
I'm in the process of updating my four year old system. This will include a new Motherboard, CPU, Memory, Video, and HD (if I need to a new power supply). Here is a list of what I'm planning on running

CPU:
P4, 3.0Ghz, 800Mhz FSB, 1MB L2 cache, HT tec.

Memory:
184 pin, 512k, Non-ECC, RDRAM PC-800

Video:
nVIDIA GeForce 6600/300MHz, 128MB, PCI-Express x16

HD:
80GB, IDE ULTRA ATA133

The problem I run into is trying to find a motherborad that will run this all. I can find plenty of DDR2 boards, however they have the problem of only running the memory at 400Mhz clock speed. This is unacceptable for me as I want to get the entire system to run at the best clock speed, and I see this as 800Mhz with RDRAM. As a side note overclocking is not an option for me because I don't have enough time or motivation to learn it and do it right. So if anyone can point me in the direction of the motherboard I need or clear up any misconceptions I have about DDR2 please help me.

Computer science news on Phys.org
There are several issues with RDRAM:

-High latency: ~30ns vs ~5ns for DDR SDRAM.
-16 or 32 bit vs 32 or 64 bit for DDR SDRAM (double the memory bandwidth).
-DDR2, IIRC transfers data 4x per clock tick just like RDRAM
-That 800mhz is actually 200mhz quad-pumped (ddr 400 is 200x2).

Add all that together, and DDR SDRAM is faster, which is why RDRAM is pretty much dead. According to my Sisoft Sandra benchmark software, PC800 in dual channel will give you about 1400MB/s while PC3200 DDR Sdram (not ddr2) will give you 1700.

Last edited:
The newer DDR2 motherboards have speeds now greater than 400mhz, so the numbers are getting better. RDRAM was prohibitively expensive, and also the fact that you had to run them in pairs was bad.

If you want to run DDR2, you'll need the new motherboards based off the 915 or 925 chipsets. Intel makes a good board, and so does Asus. Note two things - one, for these boards, you need the new LGA775 processor, not the S478 ones. (So you'd be looking for the Intel 530 or so processor.) Two, if you get a motherboard with the 925 chipset, then you need a 24-pin power supply, which is not the normal kind. They aren't much more expensive, but different.

russ_watters said:
There are several issues with RDRAM:

-High latency: ~30ns vs ~5ns for DDR SDRAM.
-16 or 32 bit vs 32 or 64 bit for DDR SDRAM (double the memory bandwidth).
-DDR2, IIRC transfers data 4x per clock tick just like RDRAM
-That 800mhz is actually 200mhz quad-pumped (ddr 400 is 200x2).

Add all that together, and DDR SDRAM is faster, which is why RDRAM is pretty much dead. According to my Sisoft Sandra benchmark software, PC800 in dual channel will give you about 1400MB/s while PC3200 DDR Sdram (not ddr2) will give you 1700.

although you are correct with your above conversion remember DDR ram is actually less efficient in the utilization of its bandwidth only able to utilize about 65% of its bandwidth to where Rambus is able to utilize about 85% of bandwidth so the performance is actually about the same of the 2 in real life situations the rambus actually is slightly faster then the ddr keep in mind that rambus is also offered at a higher clock speed with the 1066 rambus but the slight performance margin is way less then the margin of cost so take that into consideration when upgrading

RDRAM is slower in real life tests so that should about sum it up for you :P

1. Is DDR2 compatible with RDRAM?

No, DDR2 and RDRAM are not compatible with each other. They are two different types of RAM with different specifications and technologies. Attempting to mix them in the same system can result in compatibility issues and may even damage the hardware.

2. Can I upgrade my system by switching from RDRAM to DDR2?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade your system by switching from RDRAM to DDR2. However, you will need to make sure that your motherboard supports DDR2 and that you have the necessary number of slots to accommodate the new RAM. It is also important to check the maximum supported capacity of your motherboard to ensure that your upgrade will be effective.

3. What are the main differences between DDR2 and RDRAM?

The main differences between DDR2 and RDRAM are their clock speeds, transfer rates, and physical appearances. DDR2 has a higher clock speed and transfer rate compared to RDRAM, making it faster and more efficient. Additionally, DDR2 has a different physical design with a different number of pins and notches compared to RDRAM.

4. Can I mix DDR2 and RDRAM in the same system?

No, it is not recommended to mix DDR2 and RDRAM in the same system. As mentioned earlier, they are not compatible with each other and attempting to mix them can result in compatibility issues and damage to the hardware. It is best to stick with one type of RAM for optimal performance and stability.

5. Is it worth upgrading from RDRAM to DDR2?

It depends on your specific needs and budget. DDR2 is generally considered to be faster and more efficient than RDRAM, so if you require better performance from your system, it may be worth the upgrade. However, it is important to consider the cost and compatibility issues before making the switch.