What Are Your Other Passions Besides Science and Mathematics?

In summary, the conversation touched on various passions and interests, ranging from manga and Marvel comics to science, mathematics, hunting, gardening, dogs, hockey, music, art, politics, and literature. The participants also discussed whether one can work on the frontiers of physics and write poetry at the same time, with differing opinions on the matter. Some expressed a strong passion for science, while others mentioned other interests and hobbies they enjoy. It was also noted that many scientists have interests in the humanities as well, and that these pursuits can complement and enhance one's analytical thinking skills.
theoristo
I for exemple am also a Manga otaku(japanese equivalent of geek) and also a fan Marvel comics,and I like certain kinds of music in some way...but Science and mathematics are still way up there ( number one in the list)...what about you what do you delight in doing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I enjoy hunting beavers and encouraging WBN to try it at least once.

I enjoy gardening, and I love my dogs when it is not too hot to take them out to get some fresh air. Actually, I still love them, though it is tough to enjoy our "out-time" together when I can't breathe. It sucks keeping them in the AC every day, but that's what we have in this heat wave.

Likes 1 person
I have had plenty of passions in my life.My obsessive personality probably caused that (not that I will complain).Basically , if I don't have any passion at any given time , then I'm pretty much dead.

Perhaps my oldest passion is playing hockey.

Another hockey related passion of mine is hockey history.I love to rank all the players in hockey history and debate their career value versus each others.I spent an absurd amount of time on that last passion.

Music is a big passion of mine as well.Wouldn't want to live without it.

marnemath said:
i enjoy hunting beavers and encouraging wbn to try it at least once.
neverrrrrrr

I love playing guitar and listening to classic rock. I also like reading poetry and works of political satire if that counts.

I have a ton of passions. These days, I'd say that math and physics are probably my biggest passion. Beyond that though, I'm a very avid music fan. I've been playing guitar for about 12 years now. I love going to concerts and music festivals whenever I can. I'm a big fan of art...though I can't really paint or draw myself. I can spend whole days wandering around in art museums. I'm a really outdoorsy kind of person too. I love hiking and camping. I try to go on extended backpacking trips whenever I can. Last summer, I went backpacking through Southern Utah for a little over a week, and had a blast. I have a passion for politics too...as in following and constantly debating politics. That's kind of an unfortunate hobby though, because it can get a bit tedious at times...lol

WannabeNewton said:
neverrrrrrr

I love playing guitar and listening to classic rock. I also like reading poetry and works of political satire if that counts.

I like poetry as well.

Delong said:
I like poetry as well.
Sweet. It might be interesting to note that Paul Dirac said the following: I do not see how a man can work on the frontiers of physics and write poetry at the same time. They are in opposition.

I don't know what to make of it haha.

Science is really my number one passion and it has been that way since grade school. Even math takes a seat although I really appreciate math. My mind is so enveloped by science there is no room or desire to understand anything else. I plan to keep it that way so that anyone who ever knows me understands how truly passionate I am to science and nothing else.

That being said there other things I still enjoy. I enjoy read naruto although I'm desiring to break the addiction. I also like beautiful women and think often about sex cause I'm a guy duh. I like to exercise and keep healthy and live a wise healthy lifestyle. I like to dabble in the humanities and read poetry or literature when I have time. I'm also passionate about understanding more if my native language ( mandarin ) and my native culture which is Chinese.

WannabeNewton said:
Sweet. It might be interesting to note that Paul Dirac said the following: I do not see how a man can work on the frontiers of physics and write poetry at the same time. They are in opposition.

I think he may be right. They are opposing ways of thinking and I really do spend way way more time in science rather than poetry and literature.
But I think that the voice of poetry is in all things..

even in the physics...

in the hardened science...

and in the life

of a quiet, determined investigator.

WannabeNewton said:

There is nothing to make of that. People are not so boring as to be so narrow that they only have a single interest in life. Just because you like science does not mean you have to be entirely analytical in everything you do.

Paul Dirac seems to disagree.

WannabeNewton said:
Paul Dirac seems to disagree.

Well I seem to disagree with Paul Dirac.

I certainly have a very analytical mind, but not so much that I can't enjoy creativity and art. Many scientists also have passions in the humanities, whether it be painting/drawing, or playing an instrument. It's really quite common. Several well known physicists have published novels. Hawking and Sagan both have...I believe Feynman had a couple of novels.

Personally, I think endeavors in the humanities can only serve to broaden ones ability to approach science. They reinforce skills in thinking outside of the box, which is a skill that many analytical minds lack to a degree. I love literature. I read a lot; everything from classic literature like Poe, Dickens, Shakespeare, Orwell; and all the way to modern novelists like Stephen King, Michael Crichton, and Dan Brown.

Porsches, engine building/dynamics, 802.11 penetration and hardware/software optimization/stress testing. Most of all, building contraptions!

Jorriss said:
There is nothing to make of that. People are not so boring as to be so narrow that they only have a single interest in life. Just because you like science does not mean you have to be entirely analytical in everything you do.
True, though many people may not be able to understand it. Many of the engineering students that I knew
`1970 were nuts about music.

The guy who had the room next to mine (all freshmen were required to live on campus) was an engineering student that had a large music collection, including everything that Hendrix or Dylan ever recorded. Bootlegs galore!

Regarding Paul Dirac's quote:

It has been shown that reading literature and poetry improves one's comfort with ambiguity, whereas scientific pursuit and approach requires keen observation to detail, large amounts of specificity, and is a domain where ambiguity is largely neglected for being next to useless (as far as I know, although I can't imagine a place in science where being overly vague could be beneficial).

Although that's just my explanation for why I think he made that claim. I think it's absurd to think that a scientist is incapable of appreciating, or even composing, poetry, and vice versa.

My hobbies are music (playing and listening), playing NHL on video console and exercising.

Mathematics is also a hobby but I get paid to do. (even if I didn't get pay I would keep learning this stuff, it's a super game, the best there is).

I like to listen to music, sing, and dance. I have played the piano, created songs, and yes I have written some poems, although none recently. Some of my time has been spent thinking about or discussing social/political/economic issues that I care about.

Last edited:
Besides the math and physics, I am fairly passionate about politics, and reading up on world issues. Though my most apparent and intense secondary passion is in learning about the great ideas ingrained in social and political thought forged by past intellectuals. Others; ball hockey, music (of all sorts), debates, etc.

Asides from math, physics, and bioengineering, I've an interest in road cycling and classical piano which I still suck at after 3 years.

A sound body is as valuable as a sound mind so cycling is my ticket to the world of fitness.

I devote a large portion of my time to reading. I'm actually completing an English minor alongside my physics major.

I love music. I used to listen to music much more, but being in university has reduced the amount of time I have to spend on non-study related pursuits.

Another hobby of mine is Magic: the Gathering. I also enjoy completing jigsaw puzzles.

My stereo is on 24/7 unless my wife wants to watch a bit of TV, like NCIS. I can turn off the stereo and play one of my guitars, even if I have to get out on the back deck to get get some quiet. So music is a big one for me.

QuantumCurt said:
...I believe Feynman had a couple of novels.

He was also an avid bongo drum player. Come to think of it, Feynman did A LOT of stuff.

Paul Dirac said the following: I do not see how a man can work on the frontiers of physics and write poetry at the same time. They are in opposition.
I do great physics(compared to an average 1st yr electrical student), mediocre poetry, sloppish maths & amateur badminton...Dirac hates me:what::what::(:what::(:(:what::(

Last edited by a moderator:
WK95 said:
... I've an interest in ... classical piano which I still suck at after 3 years ...

Well, classical pieces tend to be the most difficult. Stuff composed by Chopin and others are very cool pieces, but they also tend to be very hard to play, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

EDIT:

Although I would stick with classical pieces, because that's usually the best way to learn how to play piano.

Last edited:
QuantumCurt said:
Several well known physicists have published novels. Hawking and Sagan both have...I believe Feynman had a couple of novels.
Before a rumor gets started and gets out of hand, no, Feynman did not write any novels.

Sagan did, yes. The novel, Contact.

Hawking has, apparently, co-authored some children's books with his daughter, Lucy Hawking, and illustrator, Gary Parsons.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VFZN32/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Feynman: no, no novels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from math: Playing the violin, painting, and MMORPGs

My principal interest is science (physics in particular). Beyond this I love reading books. When I have free time I read a lot of books: fantasy, drama, novels...
I love watching Tv- series too.
Finally I love reading comics (manga in particular).
Sometimes, when I find right people, I play board games.

Old VWs, welding, treehouses, video games, electronics, and learning. I'll often pick a subject and read a few basic books about it - chemistry was a fairly recent one.

What made you choose science as your passion?

I have always been curious about the world around me and wanted to understand how things work. Science provides a systematic approach to gaining knowledge and answering questions, which greatly appeals to me.

Do you have any other passions besides science?

Yes, I have many other interests and passions outside of science. I enjoy reading, hiking, and playing musical instruments in my free time.

Do you think science is the most important field of study?

I believe all fields of study are important and contribute to our understanding of the world. Science is just one way of looking at things, and other disciplines such as art, history, and philosophy also play a crucial role in our society.

What do you find most fascinating about science?

For me, the most fascinating aspect of science is the constant discovery and advancement of knowledge. There is always something new to learn and explore, and the potential to make groundbreaking discoveries is both exciting and humbling.

How do you stay motivated in your scientific pursuits?

I am motivated by the desire to make a positive impact and contribute to the advancement of knowledge. I also find inspiration in the curiosity and enthusiasm of my colleagues and mentors, and the potential for my research to make a difference in the world.