Can a Wi-Fi Car Diagnostic Tool Detect Problems Through Sound?

• Thread starter 3301
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary: I heard and I saw that few people do that. But I really don't know if they are lying or they are able to do that.It's possible that they are lying, but it's also possible that they can actually diagnose problems by sound.I'm not much of a car guy, but there are obvious problems I've heard before like valves tapping and an exhaust system that was failing (cracking tailpipe). I would expect that software would be able to recognize faster and subtler sounds than people could, much like an EKG can identify heart problems from subtle sound cues.
Is it doable that we can place mobile device on our auto and by detecting a sound coming out from car we can know where is the problem * if there is one?

Engineering news on Phys.org
IMO, no. When an engine or other component is making an unusual noise, mechanics will sometimes use a stethoscope placed against various parts of the motor to get an idea of where the noise is coming from, and thereby, some idea of what might be causing the noise. I'm assuming that the device you're talking about is in a fixed location, so I don't think it would be able to get close enough to where it needs to be to provide useful information.

BTW, what is "Shazam?" Back many years ago there was a comic book hero, Marvel Man, whose catch phrase was "Shazam." A few years later, in the 60's, there was a sit-com character named Gomer Pyle, who also uttered the word.

If you're trying to develop an app like this you'll probably have to create a database of sounds from all different makes and models of cars along with the type of problem.

However, I think using the car's diagnostic interface would be more effective.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
However, I think using the car's diagnostic interface would be more effective.
Bingo, each car should have it's own diagnostic system in place.

Most systems don't help identify mechanical faults such as a worn wheel bearing, shock or perforated exhaust.

Likes billy_joule
I think it would be a good idea to try. If a mechanic can diagnose a problem by the sound, software should be able to do it better.

russ_watters said:
I think it would be a good idea to try. If a mechanic can diagnose a problem by the sound, software should be able to do it better.

I heard and I saw that few people do that. But I really don't know if they are lying or they are able to do that.

Also probably many things can't be diagnosed by sound but this could be like "first aid" or something.

I'm not much of a car guy, but there are obvious problems I've heard before like valves tapping and an exhaust system that was failing (cracking tailpipe). I would expect that software would be able to recognize faster and subtler sounds than people could, much like an EKG can identify heart problems from subtle sound cues.

Most experienced mechanics can identify a range of faults using sound, sometimes sound alone but usually in combination with other things such as what the driver has to do to provoke the sound. It helps if they are familiar with the make and model. Pretty sure this is something an AI system could also do but I suspect a mechanic is cheaper.

Likes russ_watters

1. How does Shazam work for cars?

Shazam for cars works by using a microphone to capture the audio from a song playing in the car, and then using an algorithm to analyze the audio and compare it to a database of songs. Once a match is found, the song title and artist information is displayed on the screen.

2. Can Shazam for cars identify songs while driving?

Yes, Shazam for cars is designed to work while the car is in motion. However, it is important to note that the accuracy may be affected by background noise and the speed of the car.

3. Is Shazam for cars a built-in feature or do I need to install it?

Currently, Shazam for cars is not a built-in feature in most cars. It is a separate app that needs to be downloaded and installed on a smartphone connected to the car's audio system.

4. Are there any limitations to using Shazam for cars?

One limitation of using Shazam for cars is that it may not work well in areas with poor cell phone reception. Additionally, it may not be able to identify songs in languages that are not supported by the app.

5. Can Shazam for cars be used with any car model?

Shazam for cars can be used with any car model as long as the car has a smartphone connected to its audio system and the Shazam app is downloaded and installed on the phone. However, some car models may have better compatibility and integration with the app than others.