1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Shazam for car possible?

1. Feb 24, 2016 #1
    Is it doable that we can place mobile device on our auto and by detecting a sound coming out from car we can know where is the problem * if there is one?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

IMO, no. When an engine or other component is making an unusual noise, mechanics will sometimes use a stethoscope placed against various parts of the motor to get an idea of where the noise is coming from, and thereby, some idea of what might be causing the noise. I'm assuming that the device you're talking about is in a fixed location, so I don't think it would be able to get close enough to where it needs to be to provide useful information.

BTW, what is "Shazam?" Back many years ago there was a comic book hero, Marvel Man, whose catch phrase was "Shazam." A few years later, in the 60's, there was a sit-com character named Gomer Pyle, who also uttered the word.

4. Feb 24, 2016 #3

jedishrfu

5. Feb 24, 2016 #4

jedishrfu

If you're trying to develop an app like this you'll probably have to create a database of sounds from all different makes and models of cars along with the type of problem.

However, I think using the car's diagnostic interface would be more effective.

6. Feb 25, 2016 #5

OCR

His name was really ... Captain Marvel ...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :oldtongue: [COLOR=#black]...[/COLOR] lol

He probably means something that works like this ? ...[COLOR=#black].. [/COLOR] :oldwink:

Oh my ... :doh:

There really was a Marvelman ...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :redface:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  7. Feb 25, 2016 #6
    Bingo, each car should have it's own diagnostic system in place.

8. Feb 25, 2016 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most systems don't help identify mechanical faults such as a worn wheel bearing, shock or perforated exhaust.

9. Feb 25, 2016 #8

russ_watters

I think it would be a good idea to try. If a mechanic can diagnose a problem by the sound, software should be able to do it better.

10. Feb 25, 2016 #9
    I heard and I saw that few people do that. But I really dont know if they are lying or they are able to do that.

Also probably many things cant be diagnosed by sound but this could be like "first aid" or something.

11. Feb 25, 2016 #10

russ_watters

I'm not much of a car guy, but there are obvious problems I've heard before like valves tapping and an exhaust system that was failing (cracking tailpipe). I would expect that software would be able to recognize faster and subtler sounds than people could, much like an EKG can identify heart problems from subtle sound cues.

12. Feb 26, 2016 #11

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most experienced mechanics can identify a range of faults using sound, sometimes sound alone but usually in combination with other things such as what the driver has to do to provoke the sound. It helps if they are familiar with the make and model. Pretty sure this is something an AI system could also do but I suspect a mechanic is cheaper.

13. Feb 29, 2016 #12

jedishrfu

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook