Is (sinx)/x analytic at x = 0?

• Thread starter The Chaz
  • Start date
In summary: If y''(x) is continuous at x=0, then it must be continuous at all points within the domain of x=0, which is presumably all points that are not zero. So, in summary, the point x=0 is not a singular point for y''. In summary, sin(0)/0 is not an analytic function, and x = 0 is not a singular point for y''.
The Chaz
That's basically it.
My thinking is that since it's not defined at x = 0, it is not analytic (and x = 0 is therefore a singular point).

For a further look at my work, including the original context of the question, see below:
http://www.mymathforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14068"

Here's my first attempt at LaTex, which I have copied and pasted from some other users!

[tex]\frac{sin(x)}{x} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}\(x^{2n+1})}{x(2n+1)!}=[/tex]... man, I give up. I can't get an "x" in the numerator! Whatever. Obviously I know how to write the power series...

I'll copy answers from this site to the other (or vice versa) as soon as they come in, as I am actively watching both sites. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mute said:
sin(x)/x has a removable singularity at x = 0, and hence is analytic.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removable_singularity
Thanks, Mute.
I believe you and understand the content of your post and of the wikipedia article. Interestingly (at least it's interesting to me!), my classmate and I speculated about the possibility of defining f(0) := 1.

However, given the context of the question (linear, 2nd order homog. diff eq)
xy`` + sin(x)y = 0
y`` + (sin(x)/x)y = 0
"Is the point x = 0 ordinary or singular?"

I am tempted to just say, "SINGULAR".
What do you think?

The point [itex]0[/itex] is an ordinary point of [itex]y''+\frac{\sin(z)}{z}y=0[/itex] since [itex]\frac{\sin(z)}{z}=1-\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}+\cdots[/itex] is analytic at [itex]0[/itex] however I'm not so sure it is for [itex]zy''+\sin(z)y=0[/itex] since division by z is valid only when [itex]z\neq 0[/itex].

Last edited:
jackmell said:
The point [itex]0[/itex] is an ordinary point of [itex]y''+\frac{\sin(z)}{z}y=0[/itex] since [itex]\frac{\sin(z)}{z}=1-\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}+\cdots[/itex] is analytic at [itex]0[/itex] however I'm not so sure it is for [itex]zy''+\sin(z)y=0[/itex] since division by z is valid only when [itex]z\neq 0[/itex].

When the prof explained this in class yesterday (claiming that x = 0 is ordinary and that the sinc function is analytic "at/around" x = 0), a riot almost broke out.

The reason can be identified in your post.
"sin(z)/z = (power series)". I claim that this is false and should be replaced with:
"X DIFFERENT FROM ZERO ==> sin(z)/z = (power series)"
If you can't divide by zero in the original diff eq, why would it be legal to do (an INFINITE amount of times!) in simplifying the power series?

The problem is most likely in the semantics. Finding rigorous definitions of these terms has proven to be ... rather difficult. "analytic", "at", "around", "neighborhood", etc...

Everyone agrees that for f(x) = sin(x)/x,
f(0) := 1 ==> f analytic everywhere.
(If we define f of zero to be 1, then f is analytic everywhere).
This is a true statement, but WHY?

We have a conditional statement, P ==> Q
P <=> "define f(0) := 1"
Q <=> "f analytic everywhere"

If Q (the conclusion) is true, then ( R => Q ) is true for any hypothesis 'R'.

What about the statement (~P ==> ~Q)??

Define two functions like this:

[tex]
f_1(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{ll}
\frac{\sin(x)}{x}, & x\neq 0\\
1, & x = 0\\
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

[tex]
f_2(x) = 1 - \frac{x^2}{3!} + \frac{x^4}{5!} - \cdots
[/tex]

Now you want to prove that [itex]f_1(x) = f_2(x)[/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex]. Simply prove it for [itex]x=0[/itex] and [itex]x\neq 0[/itex] separately and it's done.

Strictly speaking the equation

[tex]
xy''(x) + \sin(x)y(x) = 0
[/tex]

is equivalent to the equation pair

[tex]
\left\{\begin{array}{l}
y''(x) + \frac{\sin(x)}{x} y(x) = 0, \quad x\neq 0 \\
y''(0),y(0)\quad \textrm{can be anything} \\
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

If you demand that [itex]y'', y[/itex] must be continuous, by assumption, then the ambiguity gets dealt with. Then the original equation implies

[tex]
y''(0) + y(0)=0
[/tex]

Actually I think that the continuity of [itex]y''[/itex] will follow anyway even if it is not assumed.

1. What does it mean for a function to be analytic at a point?

Being analytic at a point means that the function is differentiable and its derivatives exist at that point. In other words, the function can be expressed as a power series that converges to the function at that point.

2. Is (sinx)/x analytic at x = 0?

Yes, (sinx)/x is analytic at x = 0. This can be seen by taking the derivative of the function, which is cosx at x = 0. Since cosx is a continuous function, the derivatives of (sinx)/x also exist at x = 0.

3. Why is it important to determine if a function is analytic at a point?

Determining if a function is analytic at a point is important because it allows us to use calculus techniques to analyze the behavior of the function at that point. It also helps us to determine the convergence of power series representations of the function.

4. Are there any other ways to determine if a function is analytic at a point?

Yes, there are other ways to determine if a function is analytic at a point. One way is to check if the function is differentiable at that point using the limit definition of the derivative. Another way is to check if the function has a power series representation that converges to the function at that point.

5. Does the analyticity of a function at a point depend on the value of the function at that point?

No, the analyticity of a function at a point does not depend on the value of the function at that point. A function can be analytic at a point even if its value at that point is undefined or equal to 0. What matters is that the function is differentiable and has derivatives that exist at that point.