1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is sketching the only way?

  1. Jun 27, 2004 #1
    If you want to find volume or area using double/triple integration, is graphing the (r) and (d) the only way to see if it is a type I, II, or III problem? I'm not really good at sketching planes so I'm having great difficulty finding the answer. But when it is already setup I can do it easily.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2004 #2
    What are type I, II, III? never heard of that before.
  4. Jun 27, 2004 #3
    They are just names for how we setup the limits of integration. A type one for double integration is when D={(x,y)| a<=x<=b, g1(x)<=y<=g2(x)}

    Type II is D={(x,y)| c <= x <= d, h1(y) <= x <= h2(y)}
  5. Jul 1, 2004 #4
    that depend upon how well u set up the problem, but skecthing helps
  6. Jul 18, 2004 #5
    Couldn't you choose? For example, for a double integral, where the region to integrate over is the triangle with vertices (0,0), (2,0), (0,1), the region could be set with:

    D = {x,y : 0 <= y <= -x/2 + 1 , 0 <= x <= 2} (type 1)


    D = {x,y : 0 <= x = 2y + 2 , 0 <= y <= 1} (type 2).

    But then of course to see the limiting function for either of these, sketching helps.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Similar Discussions: Is sketching the only way?
  1. Sketching functions (Replies: 10)

  2. Derivative sketching (Replies: 7)

  3. Sketching solids (Replies: 2)