Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is sleeping less always good?

1. May 5, 2015 #1
    Hi!!
    I always wonder sleeping less than 4 will make me sick. I normally sleep for 6-7 hours a day. But I need more time to study nowadays since exams are knocking at the doors. So is sleeping less than 5 hours (=4) good form health? If I sleep for 4 hours regularly then my body may set its clock to it so I may not fall sick after doing that. So is it advisable?

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2015 #2
    I personally think getting more sleep around exam time is more important as the brain needs time to rest and digest all the information. A friend of mine used to get by on 3-4 hours sleep BUT that was after 3 years in the Army and his body adapted. If you do have to get fewer hours sleep make sure you are eating more to give your body the energy it needs.

But all in all I wouldn't recommend less than your usual amount, I would think it would reduce your ability to focus and retain information IMO

4. May 5, 2015 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know about the health effects, but this sounds like a really terrible idea.

5. May 5, 2015 #4
    A large number of doctors share that opinion. Mooncrater, I would definitely advise you to try to get at least seven hours of sleep every day, I mean, is that 3 hours really going to make a difference? Will you really study 20 hours a day?

6. May 20, 2015 #5
    "Sleep, learning, and memory are complex phenomena that are not entirely understood. However, animal and human studies suggest that the quantity and quality of sleep have a profound impact on learning and memory. Research suggests that sleep helps learning and memory in two distinct ways. First, a sleep-deprived person cannot focus attention optimally and therefore cannot learn efficiently. Second, sleep itself has a role in the consolidation of memory, which is essential for learning new information. "

From,

http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/matters/benefits-of-sleep/learning-memory

From,

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...=BTpdVemwG_b8sAS3-IOoCQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAA&dpr=1

7. May 24, 2015 #6
    In my experience a good night's sleep on the two days prior to an exam outweighs any studying I would have done. That being said I'm not big on studying for exams. A word of advice: just take your time and read the book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook