Smells from Solid Matter: Wood

In summary, smells come from gaseous molecules that are either volatile (like benzene) or lipid-based (like fragrances). Some smells come from substances on the solid matter, like fungus or volatile liquids.
Jupiter60
If so, what about smells coming from solid matter, like wood?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, smell is a sense. That is like asking if taste is a food.

Some gasses can be detected by our sense of smell as can some aerosols. I don't know if the scent of wood is carried by a gas or an aerosol.

As DaleSpam said, smell is a sensory perception. It is an interpretation by our brain of the interaction of molecules (from gasses, aerosols, whatever) that hit the olefactory nerves.

There are some sensations that people THINK of as smells that actually are not. The best example I can think of is the reaction your nose has to ammonia. There is a bit of smell involved, but it is swamped by the predominant perception which is that of your mucus membranes being irritated by the chemical reaction they have with ammonia.

Likes 1 person
That is interesting. I did not know that.

Sometimes, certain smells can overwhelm your senses.

In low concentrations, hydrogen sulfide smells like rotten eggs. If the concentration of this gas goes above a certain limit, you lose the ability to perceive the rotten egg smell any longer, which can be dangerous. You might be surrounded by an atmosphere which has little or no oxygen available, and asphyxiation might result.

Wood contains many organic compounds such as turpentine, oil and resin. Each wood has a characteristic smell when cut. Smell is your sense detecting a few of the gas molecules of organic compounds that evaporate when exposed. These compounds often protect the tree from decay or digestion by insects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olfaction

Smell if you can, a piece of old wood, then scratch it and smell it again. You will smell the exposed organic molecules as they evaporate from the damaged cell structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpentine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_essential_oils

DaleSpam said:
No, smell is a sense. That is like asking if taste is a food.

Some gasses can be detected by our sense of smell as can some aerosols. I don't know if the scent of wood is carried by a gas or an aerosol.

Smell is something we detect with our sense of smell, much like sound is what we detect with our sense of hearing and light is what we detect with our sense of vision.

From Wikipedia:

An odor or odour or fragrance (commonly referred to as a smell) is caused by one or more volatilized chemical compounds, generally at a very low concentration, that humans or other animals perceive by the sense of olfaction.

So I guess this sums up what a smell is.

Last edited:
I don't think smell is something tangible but rather what we perceive in our brains. Indeed, such senses are aroused by stimuli and in the case of olfactory sense, it should be some thing in the air,

I believe that most smells are from gaseous molecules like benzene related or lipid based fragrances, bad smells of Sulphur dioxide or ammonia gas, which arise from volatile liquids or fumes. In many cases, the smell of the solid objects are from fumes released from the solid, for example the fungus on woods or volatile compound.

I am not sure about metals though if there isn't such thing described above.

1. What causes wood to have a distinct smell?

Wood contains various organic compounds, such as lignin and cellulose, that break down over time and release volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air. These VOCs are what we perceive as the distinct smell of wood.

2. Why do some types of wood have stronger smells than others?

The strength of a wood's smell depends on several factors, including the type of wood, its age, and how it was treated. Softwoods, like pine or cedar, tend to have stronger smells due to their higher concentration of VOCs. Older and untreated wood also tends to have a stronger smell than newer or treated wood.

3. Can the smell of wood be harmful?

In most cases, the smell of wood is not harmful. However, certain types of wood, such as cedar or redwood, can release natural oils that can cause skin irritations or respiratory issues in some individuals. Additionally, if wood is treated with chemicals, it is important to follow safety precautions and avoid prolonged exposure to the smell.

4. How can I get rid of the smell of wood in my home?

If you find the smell of wood overwhelming or unpleasant, there are a few steps you can take to reduce or eliminate it. These include airing out your home, using air purifiers or deodorizers, and avoiding using strong-smelling wood cleaners or polishes.

5. Can the smell of wood be used for any practical purposes?

Yes, the smell of wood has been used for various purposes, such as in aromatherapy or for creating fragrances. Some studies have also suggested that the smell of wood can have a calming and stress-reducing effect on individuals. Additionally, some people use the smell of wood to detect potential issues with their home, such as mold or rot.