Can You Breathe in Space? Exploring Rocket Technology

• Thread starter sensor7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fire in space and how it is possible for a rocket to fire its blasters. It is explained that there is no atmosphere in space, but the rocket's oxidizer provides the necessary oxygen for combustion. The topic of the Sun's fire is also brought up, with the conclusion that it is actually a result of nuclear fusion rather than combustion with oxygen. The conversation also touches on the use of the word "fire" and its technical definition in physics.
sensor7
If there is no atmosphere in space, than how could a rocket ship fire it's blasters on the way to the moon? Therefore I think there is an oxygen atmosphere in space, which should you should go ahead and be able to breathe it. If not than I don't see how the space shuttle uses fire based rockets.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

To a very good approximation, the space between the Earth and the moon (or anywhere in the solar system) is indeed a complete vacuum. No atmosphere, no nothing. You're quite right in thinking that oxygen is needed somewhere, but it is provided by the rocket mechanism itself by the oxidizer. So in the combustion chamber the fuel and the oxidizer are combined to create the chemical reaction, the very hot (read: fast) products of which are spat out the back of the rocket by the nozzle. Newton's 3rd law does the rest and you're in business.

Also please note that the requirement of oxygen for fire only applies for chemical fires (e.g. burning fuel...or basically all the fires you see in everyday life). The Sun, for example, has all that fire while its oxygen content is very low (<1%). This is because the Sun's fire basically just comes from it being so hot, the energy for which is provided by fusion.

I'd generally consider "fire" to be synonomous with combusion, which is a chemical reaction involving oxygen. So I wouldn't really consider the sun to be "burning", if we're being technical about it.

Yea, but to 99% of the population the Sun is a ball of fire in the sky...<_<

I made the post because I used to always wonder why the Sun can be on fire in an environment with no oxygen.

russ_watters said:
I'd generally consider "fire" to be synonomous with combusion, which is a chemical reaction involving oxygen. So I wouldn't really consider the sun to be "burning", if we're being technical about it.

Agree. Always annoys me when popular science describes the sun as "burning hydrogen". To any physicist it's trivially obvious what is meant, but people without this background get too confused by the bad choice of words. Just say fusing. People can deal with that.

Matterwave said:
Yea, but to 99% of the population the Sun is a ball of fire in the sky...<_<

I made the post because I used to always wonder why the Sun can be on fire in an environment with no oxygen.
Nuclear fusion is the short answer. It has nothing to do with oxygen. Gravity crushes hydrogen to its ingnition point.

Yes...as was my entire point...see post# 3

1. Can humans breathe in space?

No, humans cannot breathe in space without proper equipment. Space is a vacuum, meaning it has no air or oxygen for us to breathe. Without protection, our bodies would not be able to survive the extreme conditions of space.

2. How do astronauts breathe in space?

Astronauts wear special suits called spacesuits when they go into space. These suits have a built-in oxygen supply that allows them to breathe while they are outside of their spacecraft. The suits also provide protection from the harsh environment of space.

3. Can rockets generate oxygen for humans to breathe?

Yes, some rockets have the capability to generate oxygen for humans to breathe. This is known as the life support system and is essential for long-duration space missions. The process involves converting water and carbon dioxide into oxygen through a series of chemical reactions.

4. What happens if there is a leak in a spacecraft's oxygen supply?

If there is a leak in a spacecraft's oxygen supply, it can be extremely dangerous for the astronauts on board. Without enough oxygen, they could suffocate or suffer from other health complications. That's why astronauts undergo extensive training and use multiple safety measures to prevent leaks from happening.

5. Can humans live in space permanently?

Currently, humans cannot live in space permanently without support from Earth. Our bodies are not adapted to the conditions of space and require a constant supply of food, water, and oxygen. However, scientists are researching ways to make long-term space habitation possible in the future through the use of advanced technology and sustainable systems.