1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Is space finite?

1. Oct 8, 2016 #1
    Hi,

Is space finite? In my opinion, it is inconceivable that space is finite. If space is finite, what is exactly outside of this stuff we called as space? More space? What exactly surrounds the singularity before the Big Bang event started? If it is nothing that "surrounds" the singularity, then it is actually space that surrounds the singularity. Because space is nothing. Alright, let me define what I mean by nothing. Nothing is that which has no shape. Space has no shape. It is a "where", not a "what" like that which has shape (i.e object).

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2016 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Unfortunately, this just means your ability to conceive is limited. There are plenty of examples of 3-dimensional spaces which are finite (more precisely, which are compact and have a finite volume); the simplest is the 3-sphere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-sphere

Our current best model of our actual universe is that it is spatially infinite; but that is a conclusion from data, and it is not 100% certain; given the data, it is still possible (though unlikely, in the opinion of most cosmologists) that our universe is spatially finite (in which case "space" would in fact be a 3-sphere, as described in the Wikipedia article above). It is certainly not "inconceivable" that space is finite.

I suggest that you take some time to learn about non-Euclidean geometry. This thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook