Space Finite? Inconceivable - Thoughts?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether space is finite or not. The speaker argues that it is inconceivable for space to be finite, as it raises questions about what exists outside of it. However, the other person points out that there are examples of finite 3-dimensional spaces, such as the 3-sphere. They also mention that our current best model suggests that the universe is spatially infinite, but it is still possible for it to be finite. They suggest learning about non-Euclidean geometry to gain a better understanding of this concept.
Mohd Abdullah
Hi,

Is space finite? In my opinion, it is inconceivable that space is finite. If space is finite, what is exactly outside of this stuff we called as space? More space? What exactly surrounds the singularity before the Big Bang event started? If it is nothing that "surrounds" the singularity, then it is actually space that surrounds the singularity. Because space is nothing. Alright, let me define what I mean by nothing. Nothing is that which has no shape. Space has no shape. It is a "where", not a "what" like that which has shape (i.e object).

Any thoughts?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mohd Abdullah said:
In my opinion, it is inconceivable that space is finite.

Unfortunately, this just means your ability to conceive is limited. There are plenty of examples of 3-dimensional spaces which are finite (more precisely, which are compact and have a finite volume); the simplest is the 3-sphere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-sphere

Our current best model of our actual universe is that it is spatially infinite; but that is a conclusion from data, and it is not 100% certain; given the data, it is still possible (though unlikely, in the opinion of most cosmologists) that our universe is spatially finite (in which case "space" would in fact be a 3-sphere, as described in the Wikipedia article above). It is certainly not "inconceivable" that space is finite.

I suggest that you take some time to learn about non-Euclidean geometry. This thread is closed.

Likes Dale

1. What is "Space Finite?"

"Space Finite" refers to the concept that the universe has a limited or finite size. It is a popular topic in science and philosophy, as it raises questions about the nature of the universe and its potential boundaries.

2. Is it possible for space to be finite?

There is currently no scientific consensus on whether space is finite or infinite. Some theories, such as the Big Bang theory, suggest that the universe had a beginning and may have an end, therefore making it finite. Other theories propose that the universe is infinite and has no boundaries.

3. How does the concept of "Space Finite" relate to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, suggests that space and time are interconnected and can be affected by the presence of massive objects. This theory has implications for the concept of "Space Finite" as it raises questions about the possibility of space being curved or expanding.

4. Are there any theories or evidence that support the idea of "Space Finite?"

There are various theories and models that propose a finite universe, such as the Big Bang theory, the Steady State theory, and the Multiverse theory. However, there is currently no conclusive evidence to support any of these theories, and the true nature of space remains a mystery.

5. How does the concept of "Inconceivable - Thoughts" relate to "Space Finite?"

The phrase "Inconceivable - Thoughts" may refer to the idea that the true nature of space may be beyond our current understanding or ability to conceive. The concept of "Space Finite" raises many philosophical questions and challenges our perceptions of the universe and our place in it.