Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Special relativity quantizied?

1. Aug 31, 2004 #1
    This is a special question,...is Sr quantizied?,in fact you will say yes but i don,t think so there are two reasons:

a)Lorentz transforms say that a particle travelling at light speed has length 0,when in quantum string theory is asumed that exists a minimum quantity lp distance...

b)Dirac,s and Klein Gordon,s equation imply the existence of a metric,when you know that in quantum physics can not be a metric..

What is the real quantization of special relativity?.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why would you assume that I would say "yes"? Of course, special relativity is not "quantised". Special relativity is completely independent of quantum physics. It is, in any case, almost 100 years old now. No one would expect special relativity to conform to modern quantum theories (or even modern "general relativity" which people are still struggling to connect to quantum physics).

4. Aug 31, 2004 #3
    Nope - Special and General Relativity are considered to be classical theories.

5. Aug 31, 2004 #4

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What's special about the question?

SR is not quantized, but it's compatible with quantum mechanics if that's what you are asking. We don't have the same problems reconciling SR and quantum mechanics that we do with GR and QM. In fact, the appropriate branches of our current quantum theories (QFT - quantum field thoery, and QED, quauntum elelctrodynamics) are fully relativistic. We also have non-relativistic versions of quantum mechanics as well. Whether or not we quantize a theory is thus totally independent of whether or not it's relativistic.

I thought you were asking about SR and quantum mechanics? String theory is yet a third theory. Im fairly sure string theory is also compatible with SR, but I'm afraid I don't know the details. String theory should not be confused with quantum mechanics, however.

The Dirac and Klein-gordon equations are an example of how one can do quantum mechanics relativistically. There is no difficulty with having a metric with quantum mechanics, or with SR. You are importing difficulties that only arise when trying to unify GR and QM into SR.

6. Aug 31, 2004 #5
    Can we general relativity, eeuhh, who am i to say yes or no ???

Let's just say this check out the string-thread. I personally recommend the LQG(Loop Quantum Gravity)-thread

regards
    marlon

7. Aug 31, 2004 #6

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just a quick note from the observational side ... QED ('QM+SR') makes very precise quantitative predictions, of which (AFAIK) *all* that have tested observationally and experimentally have passed with flying colours (= no inconsistency), and that includes some to 16 (18?) decimal places :surprised :surprised :surprised So far as precision is concerned, only the location of the source of certain radio emissions on some neutron stars* exceeds this level ... in ALL OF SCIENCE. (doesn't make it 'right', just sets a high bar for any alternative theory to clear).

*IIRC, several cm over thousands of parsecs.

8. Sep 1, 2004 #7

On a more general note, it is QFT that equals QM + SR. QED is a part of QFT, just like QCD is...

regards
    marlon

9. Sep 1, 2004 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?