Is Special relativity quantizied?

In summary, the conversation discusses the quantization of special relativity and whether it is compatible with quantum mechanics. The speaker argues that special relativity is not quantized and is a classical theory, while quantum mechanics and string theory are separate theories that can be compatible with special relativity. The conversation also mentions the precision of QED and the LQG approach to quantizing GR.
eljose79
This is a special question,...is Sr quantizied?,in fact you will say yes but i don,t think so there are two reasons:

a)Lorentz transforms say that a particle traveling at light speed has length 0,when in quantum string theory is asumed that exists a minimum quantity lp distance...

b)Dirac,s and Klein Gordon,s equation imply the existence of a metric,when you know that in quantum physics can not be a metric..

What is the real quantization of special relativity?.

Physics news on Phys.org
eljose79 said:
This is a special question,...is Sr quantizied?,in fact you will say yes but i don,t think so there are two reasons:

a)Lorentz transforms say that a particle traveling at light speed has length 0,when in quantum string theory is asumed that exists a minimum quantity lp distance...

b)Dirac,s and Klein Gordon,s equation imply the existence of a metric,when you know that in quantum physics can not be a metric..

Why would you assume that I would say "yes"? Of course, special relativity is not "quantised". Special relativity is completely independent of quantum physics. It is, in any case, almost 100 years old now. No one would expect special relativity to conform to modern quantum theories (or even modern "general relativity" which people are still struggling to connect to quantum physics).

eljose79 said:

Nope - Special and General Relativity are considered to be classical theories.

eljose79 said:
This is a special question,...is Sr quantizied?,

What's special about the question?

SR is not quantized, but it's compatible with quantum mechanics if that's what you are asking. We don't have the same problems reconciling SR and quantum mechanics that we do with GR and QM. In fact, the appropriate branches of our current quantum theories (QFT - quantum field theory, and QED, quauntum elelctrodynamics) are fully relativistic. We also have non-relativistic versions of quantum mechanics as well. Whether or not we quantize a theory is thus totally independent of whether or not it's relativistic.

in fact you will say yes but i don,t think so there are two reasons:

I thought you were asking about SR and quantum mechanics? String theory is yet a third theory. I am fairly sure string theory is also compatible with SR, but I'm afraid I don't know the details. String theory should not be confused with quantum mechanics, however.

The Dirac and Klein-gordon equations are an example of how one can do quantum mechanics relativistically. There is no difficulty with having a metric with quantum mechanics, or with SR. You are importing difficulties that only arise when trying to unify GR and QM into SR.

Can we general relativity, eeuhh, who am i to say yes or no ?

Let's just say this check out the string-thread. I personally recommend the LQG(Loop Quantum Gravity)-thread

regards
marlon

Just a quick note from the observational side ... QED ('QM+SR') makes very precise quantitative predictions, of which (AFAIK) *all* that have tested observationally and experimentally have passed with flying colours (= no inconsistency), and that includes some to 16 (18?) decimal places So far as precision is concerned, only the location of the source of certain radio emissions on some neutron stars* exceeds this level ... in ALL OF SCIENCE. (doesn't make it 'right', just sets a high bar for any alternative theory to clear).

*IIRC, several cm over thousands of parsecs.

Nereid said:
Just a quick note from the observational side ... QED ('QM+SR') makes very precise quantitative predictions, of which (AFAIK) *all* that have tested observationally and experimentally have passed with flying colours (= no inconsistency), and that includes some to 16 (18?) decimal places So far as precision is concerned, only the location of the source of certain radio emissions on some neutron stars* exceeds this level ... in ALL OF SCIENCE. (doesn't make it 'right', just sets a high bar for any alternative theory to clear).

*IIRC, several cm over thousands of parsecs.

On a more general note, it is QFT that equals QM + SR. QED is a part of QFT, just like QCD is...

regards
marlon

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light is constant for all observers. It also introduces the concept of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is special relativity different from classical mechanics?

Special relativity differs from classical mechanics in that it takes into account the effects of high speeds and large distances. In classical mechanics, time and space are considered absolute and unchanging, while in special relativity, they are relative to the observer's frame of reference.

3. Is special relativity quantized?

No, special relativity is a classical theory and is not quantized. It does not involve the concept of discrete particles or energy levels, which is a hallmark of quantum mechanics. However, special relativity can be combined with quantum mechanics in the theory of quantum field theory.

4. How does special relativity impact our daily lives?

Special relativity has a significant impact on our daily lives, particularly in the field of technology. It is the basis for GPS systems, as it allows for precise measurements of time and distance. It also plays a crucial role in the development of particle accelerators and nuclear energy.

5. What are some experimental evidence for special relativity?

Experimental evidence for special relativity includes the famous Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference. Other evidence includes the time dilation observed in high-speed particle accelerators and the observation of length contraction in cosmic ray showers.