Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is T Pyxis really a threat?

1. Dec 17, 2015 #1
    People have been saying this system is a serious threat to Earth. It's closest will bring it only 3,300 Light Years Away. But, It could be a threat. However, I'm not sure whether it really does. Although I read about it on Wikipedia, I'm still not convinced. Does anyone currently know the mass of the system and mass loss for each pulse, as well as orbital decay of the system? I want to find a specific location and date for this event.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement, ' It's closest will bring it only 3,300 Light Years Away.' T Pyxis (or more accurately, T Pyxidis) is located some 15,600 LY from earth, not 3300 LY, according to recent observations made by the Hubble Space Telescope.

I think you are confused by the statement that a Type Ia supernova would have to be closer than 3300 LY from earth for any radiation to disrupt the ozone layer in our atmosphere.

4. Dec 17, 2015 #3
    Oops, I meant at it's closest approach it would be 3,300 about 10 million years from now.

I'm still getting to understand it.

5. Dec 17, 2015 #4
    I think the current distance estimates have been refined to 15,600 LY, not 3,300 for one thing.

The next estimated nova event is estimated based on accretion rates from its companion star and that number is about 10 million years from now.

I guess all of us can now get back to worrying about our Christmas shopping again.

6. Dec 17, 2015 #5
    Okay. Thanks.

7. Dec 17, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you expect to still be alive in 10 million years?

8. Dec 17, 2015 #7
    Of course not. I was talking about the future. If we haven't left Earth. I was in a rush while posting this because something came up.

9. Dec 17, 2015 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The future can take care of itself. It's the past I'm worried about.

10. Dec 17, 2015 #9
    It's something interesting to wonder about. But yes, I agree on present events being more important. However, it's fun to explore.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook