Exploring the Potential Threat of T Pyxis to Earth

• Thread starter AdamAutism1998
  • Start date
In summary: It's something interesting to wonder about. But yes, I agree on present events being more important. However, it's fun to explore.
AdamAutism1998
People have been saying this system is a serious threat to Earth. It's closest will bring it only 3,300 Light Years Away. But, It could be a threat. However, I'm not sure whether it really does. Although I read about it on Wikipedia, I'm still not convinced. Does anyone currently know the mass of the system and mass loss for each pulse, as well as orbital decay of the system? I want to find a specific location and date for this event.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
AdamAutism1998 said:
People have been saying this system is a serious threat to Earth. It's closest will bring it only 3,300 Light Years Away. But, It could be a threat. However, I'm not sure whether it really does. Although I read about it on Wikipedia, I'm still not convinced. Does anyone currently know the mass of the system and mass loss for each pulse, as well as orbital decay of the system? I want to find a specific location and date for this event.
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement, ' It's closest will bring it only 3,300 Light Years Away.' T Pyxis (or more accurately, T Pyxidis) is located some 15,600 LY from earth, not 3300 LY, according to recent observations made by the Hubble Space Telescope.

I think you are confused by the statement that a Type Ia supernova would have to be closer than 3300 LY from Earth for any radiation to disrupt the ozone layer in our atmosphere.

SteamKing said:
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement, ' It's closest will bring it only 3,300 Light Years Away.' T Pyxis (or more accurately, T Pyxidis) is located some 15,600 LY from earth, not 3300 LY, according to recent observations made by the Hubble Space Telescope.

I think you are confused by the statement that a Type Ia supernova would have to be closer than 3300 LY from Earth for any radiation to disrupt the ozone layer in our atmosphere.
Oops, I meant at it's closest approach it would be 3,300 about 10 million years from now.

I'm still getting to understand it.

I think the current distance estimates have been refined to 15,600 LY, not 3,300 for one thing.

The next estimated nova event is estimated based on accretion rates from its companion star and that number is about 10 million years from now.

I guess all of us can now get back to worrying about our Christmas shopping again.

Loren said:
I think the current distance estimates have been refined to 15,600 LY, not 3,300 for one thing.

The next estimated nova event is estimated based on accretion rates from its companion star and that number is about 10 million years from now.

I guess all of us can now get back to worrying about our Christmas shopping again.
Okay. Thanks.

AdamAutism1998 said:
Oops, I meant at it's closest approach it would be 3,300 about 10 million years from now.

I'm still getting to understand it.
Do you expect to still be alive in 10 million years?

SteamKing said:
Do you expect to still be alive in 10 million years?
Of course not. I was talking about the future. If we haven't left Earth. I was in a rush while posting this because something came up.

AdamAutism1998 said:
Of course not. I was talking about the future. If we haven't left Earth. I was in a rush while posting this because something came up.
The future can take care of itself. It's the past I'm worried about.

SteamKing said:
The future can take care of itself. It's the past I'm worried about.
It's something interesting to wonder about. But yes, I agree on present events being more important. However, it's fun to explore.

1. Is T Pyxis a real threat to Earth?

As a scientist, I cannot definitively answer this question as there is currently no evidence to suggest that T Pyxis is a threat to Earth. T Pyxis is a star located over 300 light years away and there is no known way for it to directly affect our planet.

2. Can T Pyxis potentially cause any harm to our solar system?

No, T Pyxis is too far away to have any impact on our solar system. It is not large enough or close enough to cause any gravitational disturbances or affect the orbits of our planets.

3. Are there any known asteroids or comets coming from T Pyxis towards Earth?

No, there is no evidence of any asteroids or comets coming from T Pyxis towards Earth. The existence of such objects would require a very specific and unlikely set of circumstances.

4. Have there been any previous incidents involving T Pyxis and Earth?

No, T Pyxis has not been known to have any interactions with Earth in the past. It is a relatively small and distant star that poses no threat to our planet.

5. Is there any ongoing research or monitoring of T Pyxis?

Yes, as with all astronomical objects, T Pyxis is continuously monitored and studied by astronomers. However, there is no specific research or concern regarding its potential threat to Earth.